ISO not uploading or at least showing up in the /mnt

Davige

Cadet
Hello all. Trying out TrueNAS, and not having a great time of it.

Trying to create a simple Windows 10 VM. I set up the VM, setup and upload the Win10 iso, and start it up - but it will not see the iso as amounted drive. At all. I have tried every iteration on the setup - using VirtO and ACHI, nothing. Keeps saying on the bootup screen that Boot0001, 2, etc, all are not working.

I reboot the TrueNas, then try the VM, and it then says the ISO is not found in the /mnt. VERY FRUSTRATING.

What am I doing wrong here?? Some help most appreciated. thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Where is the ISO file in the directory tree?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have tried every iteration on the setup - using VirtO and ACHI, nothing.
Have you tried the iteration where the ISO file is a CDROM?

Those options apply to the Disk type of device, not CDROM, which is what an ISO should be.

Davige

Cadet
Where is the ISO file in the directory tree?
I uploaded them to the /mnt, and then tried created a folder called ISO as /mnt/ISO. In both cases, the ISO's just seem to disappear and can't start the VM. I get following message:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1247, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1152, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1598, in start
self.vms[vm['name']].start(vm_data=vm)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 173, in start
raise CallError(
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM will not start as CDROM Device: /mnt/Windows10_1903.iso, CDROM Device: /mnt/ISO/virtio-win-0.1.190.iso device(s) are not available.

It is very much like it does not upload the iso file, even though it says it does.

D

Davige

Cadet
Have you tried the iteration where the ISO file is a CDROM?

Those options apply to the Disk type of device, not CDROM, which is what an ISO should be.
That is how it is setup, as a CD ROM, at least as far as I can see it is. See pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 120249.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 120249.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 158

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How are you uploading? /mnt is reserved, and shouldn't be used as an upload destination. You really want to upload to a dataset within your pool. Create an ISO dataset in your pool, and upload to /mnt/<your pool name>/ISO.

Davige

Cadet
How are you uploading? /mnt is reserved, and shouldn't be used as an upload destination. You really want to upload to a dataset within your pool. Create an ISO dataset in your pool, and upload to /mnt/<your pool name>/ISO.
Thank you Samuel. I created a folder in the pool and uploaded, rebooted the nas, and it stayed there. Was able to run the VM now. I had a feeling it was a folder permissions thing, but the default upload is /mnt, so being a noob, I assumed this was the place to upload too. TrueNAS does not warn you or anything.

Regardless, appreciate your help.

DG