iSCSI with Freenas and Cisco Nexus 5K

marlonc

Explorer
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone.

I am in the process of building out a storage design using iSCSI from Intel / Dell X520-DA2 Ethernet Server Adapters on a Dell R730xd connected to a Cisco 5596UP switch. VCenter ESXi hosts are connected to the Nexus switch using the same Intel X520-DA2 adapters. On the Freenas, mtu 9000 is enabled on the NIC's for iSCSI and on the vmkernel adapters and virtual distributed switches in VCenter. I can only enable jumbo frames globally (mtu 9216) on the Nexus 5596UP, not under the specific interface as this is not a feature.

In VCenter, I can scan for the LUN's and the hosts sees the LUN's. The issue is when I try to add a Datastore I get a error message "The 'Create VMFS datastore' operation failed for the entity with the following error message. Cannot change the host configuration" and according to VMware, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151431, I must change the interfaces mtu to 1500 or I can use 9000.

If I connect from Freenas directly to the hosts using mtu 9000 bypassing the Nexus Switch, I can add the datastores but this is not a scalable solution as I will have as many as 10 ESXi hosts.

Does anyone have a solution or a config for the Nexus?

Do I really need to set the mtu 9000 everywhere for iSCSI even when using the Intel X520-DA2 or can I get away with mtu 1500?

Thanks,

marlonc

Explorer
Yes, it was enabled globally as 9216 on the Nexus. I was just reading another article on here cyberjock and jgreco titled Jumbo Frame Notes and they both say screw jumbo frames.

in my setup, do i really need it?

marlonc

Explorer
by the way, the Freenas server has 6 x Intel / Dell X520-DA2 Ethernet Server Adapters broken down as such, but only NIC1 is being used as it is directly connected to my ESXi host.

Preference:

NIC 1 - iSCSI - Portal 172.16.13.1
NIC 2 - iSCSI - Portal 172.16.14.1
NIC 3/4 - SMB LACP File share
NIC 5 - Unused
NIC 6 - Unusd

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The configuration looks right ... Did we visit this in another thread?

"Screw jumbo frames" usually comes as a result of the bugs and complexity getting it set up. Jumbo tends to be more beneficial in reducing CPU overhead, you're likely fine to go ahead with default MTU 1500.

marlonc

Explorer
Yes we did review this under another thread but wanted to create a new posts.

Alright, I will use mtu 1500 on all my devices, switches, hosts and freenas.