SOLVED "iSCSI service failed to start."

Sprint

Explorer
Hi All

So I run my TrueNAS virtualised, and use it to provide iSCSI back to other VMs, as well as hosting network shares into my network.

For years I've run it in ESX, without issue, but have decided to move over to Proxmox. Over the course of a few weeks, I moved all my VMs over to a spare server which I used as a prof of concept (so its running TrueNAS and hosting my VMs, but on less powerful hardware), and I rebuilt my main rig over the weekend using Proxmox. I was able to PCI passthrough my HBA controllers and M.2 card with no issue, and restored my TrueNas VM by simply installing a fresh install and uploading the config backup that I took prior and iSCSI again worked a treat,

That all went fine, however I needed to re-install proxmox, as I realised I'd made a mistake in my Proxmox build, so I again exported/disconnected my pools, took another backup, wiped the machine, reinstalled proxmox, reinstalled TrueNas, but when I tried to map my iSCSI drives, it didn't work. I quickly realised the iSCSI service wasn't running, but when I try to start it, I get the "iSCSI service failed to start" error.

This is the only output I get in /var/log/messages

Sep 1 21:35:58 Nitrogen 1 2021-09-01T21:35:58.664104+01:00 <Omitted FQDN> ctld 1964 - - error in configuration file at line 257 near '"\012 device-id "': syntax error
Sep 1 21:35:58 Nitrogen 1 2021-09-01T21:35:58.664358+01:00 <Omitted FQDN>ctld 1964 - - configuration error; exiting
Sep 1 21:35:58 Nitrogen 1 2021-09-01T21:35:58.665791+01:00 <Omitted FQDN> root 1965 - - /etc/rc.d/ctld: WARNING: failed to start ctld

The only thing that changed between instances is that I switched from having a 10Gb nic in proxmox with a vNIC, to passing the NIC through to truenas entirely. There was some configuration for the network that that card used, but I've stripped that out, but it still doesn't want to play.

Is there a iSCSI config file that I look at, given its telling me the issue is at line 257?

Thanks all in advance

Sprint

Sprint

Explorer
... So after finding someone else who had a different issue, but had posted up their " /etc/ctl.conf" file, I was able to find the file, and spotted that 3 of my extents had missing serial numbers. (the first being at line 257). After making 3 serial numbers up and adding them, iSCSI started first time! :D