iSCSI related question about reclaiming space on TrueNAS

Hello,

I would like to know what I should do to reclaim space use by previous deleted files on iSCSI mounted on Windows 10?

Just to put in context, I'm using Windows 10 host to record live TV from over-the-air signal using a roof top mounted antenna and instead recording on a hard drive present on the Windows 10 host, it records on a iSCSI drive from a TrueNAS host so I'm not limited to RAID 1-only policy on Windows desktop OS nor to a dangerous RAID 0 who will give me more space with all the risk who come with that type of RAID array (even if it's not important data).

The iSCSI storage is using another NIC without internet access so it is completely isolated form the rest of the network for security purposes.

For now the TrueNAS host have 3x 500GB hard drives placed in software RAID 5. Will install bigger disks later on as I'm still tuning up the antenna and can't confirm yet the true required capacity. All depending of what channels I've got over-the-air. Right now it's 6~7 but might be more later one once I'm done with fine tuning.

To reclaims space after deleting recordings who consists larges files from the Windows 10 host, the space become available again on the Windows host but not on the TrueNAS host hosting the iSCSI.

The extents on the TrueNAS host are using "files" nor "devices". Is this could be related to why space aren't freed on the TrueNAS host as well?

Thank-you,

Guillaume

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is no way to reclaim the space. Windows has written to these blocks and if Windows inside its own filesystem marks them as "free" this is of no concern to the block layer which is all ZFS is interested in.

Also there is no "RAID5" in ZFS. Are you running RAIDZ1? You should not do that for iSCSI.

Here's all you probably need to know about block storage:

Yes I refer to RAIDZ1. In despite of warning found on many websites, it seem very fast for me.

Seem to be okay for one single user, would probably be a different story of multiples user trying using it at the same time. :oops: