ESXi 6.0/FreeNAS 11 iSCSI error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscoguru

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNAS and iSCSI in general. Running FreeNAS 11, I created the iSCSI pieces, and I was able to successfully connect to it from Windows 10 (saw the volume in disk management, didn't format or anything else). When I try to connect to it from my ESXi host, though, I get a warning message that there was a connection error and it is dropping the connection. It shows up in ESXi as dead briefly under the iSCSI software adapter details and then subsequently is gone when I rescan the adapters.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or what might be happening? MTU is 1500 (my lab network isn't setup for jumbo frames); single interface on my FreeNAS box.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm new to FreeNAS and iSCSI in general. Running FreeNAS 11, I created the iSCSI pieces, and I was able to successfully connect to it from Windows 10 (saw the volume in disk management, didn't format or anything else). When I try to connect to it from my ESXi host, though, I get a warning message that there was a connection error and it is dropping the connection. It shows up in ESXi as dead briefly under the iSCSI software adapter details and then subsequently is gone when I rescan the adapters.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or what might be happening? MTU is 1500 (my lab network isn't setup for jumbo frames); single interface on my FreeNAS box.
Welcome to the forums!

Please post your full system specifications, per the Forum rules.

ciscoguru

Cadet
Whoops! Sorry about that...it's a Dell PE2950, PERC H200 SAS controller, 2xXeon 3.0GHz dual-core procs, 32GB ram, 4 300GB SAS 15k drives

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Whoops! Sorry about that...it's a Dell PE2950, PERC H200 SAS controller, 2xXeon 3.0GHz dual-core procs, 32GB ram, 4 300GB SAS 15k drives
Thankee!

Well, you've got enough memory to proceed... How do you have your disks configured? Are you running the H200 in IT mode?

Forum member @Benjamin Bryan has written an excellent tutorial on setting up a FreeNAS-on-ESXi All-In-One system: "FreeNAS on VMware ESXi 6.0 Guide". You can ignore most of the guide, but it does go in to detail on setting up iSCSI. See part 18: "Create an iSCSI share for VMware".

Good luck!

ciscoguru

Cadet
Ah! That's great. Yep, I flashed it into IT mode, letting FreeNAS have its way with the disks. I'll check that guide out.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Ah! That's great. Yep, I flashed it into IT mode, letting FreeNAS have its way with the disks. I'll check that guide out.
You'll probably want to configure your disks as mirrors; this will give the best performance. And you ought to give thought to the idea of installing a ZIL SLOG device, too. The forum has a boatload of discussion on the subject of configuring FreeNAS to provide block storage; search around and you'll find lots of fun reading material! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.