ISCSI Drive is Formatted No Data is reachable

ajmsbk

Cadet
Hi All, any body can help , my ISCSI drive is with out data, after i change my iscasi ip adress and i connect the drive again it ask me to format the drive i have formated how can i reach my Files .

i have insstalled fresh freenas 11.3 after that make a dataset and zvol. than i copied all my files there . now i cant reach them does format the ISCSI effect this dataset or not how can i see these files again. i have no back up etc .

Attachments

• FreeNas.PNG
    FreeNas.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 141
  • windows.PNG
    windows.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 135

NugentS

MVP
If you formatted the iSCSI volume then you have wiped your files out
I assume from this that you are trying to use an iSCSI volume on the FreeNAS box to look like an internal disk on the Windows PC/Server. I also assume you had this working, changed something which caused windows to ask you to format the volume (which you did)

If I am correct - you have no files

I don't suppose you snapshotted the volume did you?

ajmsbk

Cadet
you are right i have changed my ip address , is there a way to have my data back

NugentS

MVP
I doubt it
You might try a data recovery program - but I suspect your chances are extremely low

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
i connect the drive again it ask me to format the drive i have formated how can i reach my Files .

You will have to treat this much the same way as having formatted a drive in Windows that had data on it.

If you've done a Quick Format you have a chance.*

Unmount the drive from the guest, and make some manner of backup - ideally use zfs send/recv to ship the ZVOL contents to another pool for safety, but if you have no second drive or pool available in FreeNAS, take a snapshot of the ZVOL so that you won't accidentally overwrite anything (worse than it is) - then mount the drive again (read-only, if possible)

CRUCIAL - DO NOT IGNORE THIS STEP.
Get a second physical disk (USB is okay) and connect it to your Windows machine. Save recovered files here. Do not write them back to the iSCSI drive, or you will write into "free space" and potentially clobber any existing data.
we now return to your regularly scheduled program

Use something like TestDisk, PhotoRec, or Recuva to attempt to find/recover the files. Again, save them to the additional, external/USB drive on your Windows machine. For Badger's sake, don't write back to the iSCSI drive.

*With this said - FreeNAS supports UNMAP/TRIM for iSCSI devices. Some or even all of the data may already be gone, depending on how speedy your system is, if your system detected the iSCSI device as supporting TRIM, and if Windows decided to send TRIMs after a quick format.