Is TrueNAS Scale right for my use case? I just want to NFS share existing data.

nhasian

Cadet
I have four hard disks with ext4 filesystems. I simply want to share the data on them via NFS to another server.

I created four directories under /mnt and I edited /etc/fstab so I can mount them and see the data from the terminal. When I try to add an NFS share, I get the error message "The path must reside within a pool mount point"

I do not want to create a ZFS pool, I just want to share the existing data via NFS. Please advise.

Arwen

MVP
No, TrueNAS SCALE is the wrong tool for your use case. I don't know what tool would do what you want, but TrueNAS Core or SCALE back end storage is basically ZFS. The GUI is designed around that.

Yes, I know TrueNAS SCALE is Linux underneath, but TrueNAS SCALE is appliance software and not designed for behind the scenes changes. You might get things to work, but is may not last long. And be harder to trouble shoot.

Dice

Wizard
I have four hard disks with ext4 filesystems. I simply want to share the data on them via NFS to another server.

I created four directories under /mnt and I edited /etc/fstab so I can mount them and see the data from the terminal. When I try to add an NFS share, I get the error message "The path must reside within a pool mount point"

I do not want to create a ZFS pool, I just want to share the existing data via NFS. Please advise.
You seem to want a simple ubuntu server, google for "how to setup nfs share" and follow a guide.
There are loads of good guides for this :)