Contents of NFS Share not visible on Ubuntu 20.04 client

lukazy88

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I have troubles with a NFS share I want to setup. I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U4 and the client is a Ubuntu 20.04 VM that is running within TrueNAS.

I have several HDDs that are NTFS and that are filled with data. I want to make that data accessible to the Ubuntu VM without moving/wiping my disks.

My plan was the following.
  1. Create the MountPoint
    1. I created a new dataset within a pool (pool1) that was already set up called "MountLocation"
  2. Create & Set User
    1. I added a user nfsshare (uid=1003) along with his new group nfsshare (gid=1003) and set this user and group as the owner of this dataset
  3. Mounting the HDDs
    1. I mounted the first HDD in a ssh session on the TrueNAS machine with the following command:
      1. ntfs-3g -o uid=1003,gid=1003 /dev/ada1p2 /mnt/pool1/MountLocation/Toshiba-12TB
        1. I use the user & group ID of the user nfsshare
  4. Creating the Share
    1. made a NFS Share to the location /mnt/pool1/MountLocation
    2. checked the boxes for all directories and read only
    3. set Mapall User & Mapall Group to the user & group nfsshare
    4. and put in my network to the authorized list
  5. Connect to the share on the Ubuntu Client
    1. I connect to the NFS Share via this command:
      1. sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.10:/mnt/pool1/MountLocation /mnt/TrueNASHDDs
    2. doing a ls -la /mnt/TrueNASHDDs now shows the folder Toshiba-12TB (which I mounted inside /mnt/pool1/MountLocation/ within TrueNAS)
So far so good. The problem now is that my Ubuntu client cannot see inside or access the /mnt/TrueNASHDDs/Toshiba-12TB folder.
Any ideas why this might be the case?

I know that directly mounting a HDD within TrueNAS is not the "normal" way to go but I dont have space to import this HDD to so I have to leave all data intact but still be able to share it to the VM. Since with bhyve you can only add a zvol I cannot directly attach the HDD to the VM.

regards
lukazy

sretalla