Is there a way to report spinup/spindown cycles for the hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So here is my situation to which I assume many others are in the same boat except to folks that run the hard drives non-stop. I, a home user, prefer to spin down my hard drives when they are not in use for an extended period of time. The problem is, there are times I look at my NAS and the drives never seem to spin down and I recall a problem that I had last year with FreeNAS, the drives would spin up frequently (every 15 to 30 minutes or so) which of course will lead to premature death. I'd like to know if there is a way to report daily how many spin up and spin down cycles have occurred. This would be a useful tool in tuning your configuration or troubleshooting a problem (likely network related).

So if I were to discover my drives were spinning up/down 10 times a day, I'd probably desire leaving them running all the time. But if it's only 3 times a day then I might be fine with that. The goal is to sleep the drives at night except for when I do a backup. I guess I could create a CRON job for 11:30 PM to push the command "atailde -S 120 ada0" and do it for all my drives to force an immediate spin down.

Either way I think having a way to display the spinup cycles is a great tool. Not sure I could display that info via SSH somehow, I'm sure I can, I just don't know what the command is.

Thanks,
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.