SOLVED Is there a way to catch from camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doubtful.

I assume Firewire has something akin to USB's general Mass Storage class, so if the device supports it and exposes a filesystem that FreeNAS can read (unlikely) you could perhaps copy files over.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Going straight for Thunderbolt?

I don't think it does, but if Thunderbolt simply exposed the PCI-e connection it carries (like USB 3.1 supposedly will), no drivers would be needed, beyond those of the connected PCI-e device.

Of course, for a nominally hot-swappable interface, PCI-e is very un-hotswappable in practice.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, PCIe has provisions in the specification for hotplugging and hotswapping devices. The real issue is that most people are:

1. scared to do it.
2. don't like doing it with the system live.
3. Some cards (like video cards) are overly large and very hard to insert straight and properly the first time. I'd be #1 of installing them in that particular situation. ;)

rogerh

Guru
Hotplugging any kind of multi-contact edge connector seems remarkably foolish. Unless the specification includes all possible combinations of nearby contacts being safely short-circuited. Including nearby components on the motherboard.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actually, PCIe has provisions in the specification for hotplugging and hotswapping devices. The real issue is that most people are:

1. scared to do it.
2. don't like doing it with the system live.
3. Some cards (like video cards) are overly large and very hard to insert straight and properly the first time. I'd be #1 of installing them in that particular situation. ;)

If I had a computer lying around I didn't mind destroying in the interests of science, I'd totally try to hot plug a PCI-e card (say a NIC). Until then, place me in category I.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've done it, on accident. It worked and all was fine. I'm still in #1 and #2. :P

RvdKraats

Dabbler
PCIe has provisions for hotswapping, but that doesn't mean every card is able to do so, right?

Anyway, I had to hotswap some cards a few times in an IBM POWER machine that ran a 24/7 database. Really feels *so* unnatural to replace a card with all the fans whirring and LEDs blinking, even though I knew the machine was capable of doing so and I removed power from the slot beforehand. All went fine, but I made sure I removed the rings from my sweaty fingers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.