is mount-to-ufsid-label still needed to avoid disk confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazy

Cadet
Hi,
I'm a long timeand very happy user of Freenas 7x but the mobo in my server just died and I'm looking at upgrading to Freenas 8 with new hardware.

I've suffered disk confusion in the past when adding or rearranging disks, because of the way that Freenas assigns them and I've just discovered a workaround, suggested by Danmero, that involves mounting to the ufsid label instead of the device id.

I've done a test install of Freenas 8.0.3 and see that the disk management tab seems to incorporate the mount function. I can also see a 'uuid' number which I guess may the new equivalent of a 'ufsid' but I'm not sure.

I have searched this forum and the 8x manual, without success, to see if the mount-to-volume method is still required, to avoid prementioned disk confusion, or if it has been superseded, so I write to ask this font of knowledge directly.

Thanks in advance

Hazy

peterh

Patron
i guess it depends on "what type of discs" you want to mount. a zfs pool is recognized by it own label
there is no need for labels or partitioning. In fact they arn't even mounted by the OS,

Status
Not open for further replies.