Is It Time To Move From FreeNAS 11 To TrueNAS 12?

pab49162

Dabbler
I have a small home NAS (used primarily for SMB shares) currently running FreeNAS 11.3-U5.

I would appreciate thoughts on the maturity of TrueNAS 12 and if people feel it is now sufficiently stable to upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1.

Any comments or advice on this upgrade would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Does version 12.0-U2.1 have features you're anxious to use? If not, you may be just as happy staying with 11.3-U5, at least until a stable 12.1 release becomes available. After all, these are just service appliances. "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

I'm still running 11.2-U8, both at home and work. It's stable. It fills my simple needs. (And I dislike the the new GUI.)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
On 11.2 and 11.3 alike you cannot reliably create new jails and install packages in them, because the underlying FreeBSD versions are long out of support. That's the main reason why I would not run anything but TN 12.

pab49162

Dabbler
Thank you Spearfoot and Patrick M. Hausen for the feedback.

Right now, there are no features in 12.0 that I am needing to use. My Home NAS setup is very simple and it is mainly used for SMB shares accessed by Windows PC. I don't really have a use for jails or other features in TrueNAS.

At this point, I think I am going to wait for a stable 12.1 release before upgrading.

VladTepes

Patron
I was going to ask the same question. I haven't actually used my NAS for ages (for.. reasons unrelated to TrueNAS)
so I am looking to upgrade. Are there any major issues (problems) I need to be aware of before upgrading from 11.3 and would someone be kind enough please to point me to the relevant upgrade instructions.

Thank you

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Updating from FreeNAS 11.3 is described here: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U4/system.html#update

TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1 is similar (not better) quality to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 but with new features. It is now the most popular/installed version of software and so is well tested/verified. Many production Enterprise customers have moved to this version.

TrueNAS 12.0-U3 will be available in early April. We expect it to be the highest quality version.