Is it safe to upgrade to 9.3 Beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Vernick

Cadet
There are some things we all have to expect someone to have such as a basic understanding of these things with a project like this, after all the individual must build or have a computer with capable resources to even implement this.

As for if it's safe to upgrade, Yes on a testing platform, No for a production machine.

Implementing this OS is easy. Not telling users that they should fresh install is dumb no matter how much they know.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then again. Maybe I just like new features asap and take reckless risks to get them. ;)

You should watch the latest movie.... FreeNAS 9.3 beta.. Tokyo Drift!

Norleif

Dabbler
To address the original question:
.... personally no sleep would be lost if everything on my freenas went poof because it is all recoverable..
Unless this is the case for you, it's not safe to upgrade to 9.3 BETA.

While data storage is never going to be 100% safe, running RELEASE software would be less unsafe then running BETA software, as the RELEASE software has presumably already been through a BETA stage where those "special" users have done their best to break things.

diedrichg

Wizard

Weeblie

Cadet
Be careful and do make sure that you keep a backup of your config. My own update from 9.2.1.6 to 9.3-Beta managed to fail quite spectacularly. I think it started with a failed DB upgrade before ending up with a total meltdown. The data was of course still fine and everything was up and running again once I went back to the previous version (don't forget to erase the backup GPT header or the old version won't boot).

I plan to wait for the release version of 9.3 and do a clean install and manually port my settings next time. :)

indivision

Guru
To address the original question: Unless this is the case for you, it's not safe to upgrade to 9.3 BETA.

While data storage is never going to be 100% safe, running RELEASE software would be less unsafe then running BETA software, as the RELEASE software has presumably already been through a BETA stage where those "special" users have done their best to break things.

Similarly, running RELEASE software that is 1 day old is less safe than running RELEASE software that is 1 month old.

The thing is, the safety of your data should not be reliant on the bug-freeness of the OS. That goes for beta, release, nightly, anything. You should have a backup system so that if the OS causes an issue (at any phase) you can always restore from the backup.

I wonder if talking about when it is "approved" to trust your data with RELEASE versions (which is a somewhat arbitrary label) encourages people to neglect having a truly safe setup.

*eating popcorn*

This is like watching a comedy. People demanding warnings for beta versions LOL.

duh...

solarisguy

Guru
*eating popcorn*

This is like watching a comedy. People demanding warnings for beta versions LOL.

duh...
May be they are older folks, like 20+, and Google impressed on them early in their life that beta = the only version everybody is running ?

Or they're linux users, which means that everything is at best 'beta' quality. :)

Not sure if I feel offended or not.... But I sure as hell laughed my pants off :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.