Is it Possible to Remove a VDEV from a Pool?

Martin C2S

Dabbler
Hello All,

I currently have a striped pool that is composed of 3 vdevs (three 3tb drives, three 4tb drives and two 12TB drives) There is currently 26TB of available space on the pool and what I'm looking to do is to remove the vdev with the two 12TB drives to re-purpose them in a different pool. Is this possible? If so, how? I've tried searching but haven't found something similar to this and am still quite a bit of a newb to Truenas.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Martin

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would strongly assume it is not possible. What you could do is try an experiment with a VM and an equivalent set of virtual disks (much smaller of course).

Martin C2S

Dabbler
Did a little bit more digging and found this post, specifically #3. Seems like it's possible via CLI.

Anyone have any more detail on that?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Did a little bit more digging and found this post, specifically #3. Seems like it's possible via CLI.

Anyone have any more detail on that?

It is not possible by CLI. It is simply not possible. Feel free to try, but be sure to have a backup of your pool for when it dies.

https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/8/zpool-remove.8.html

"When the primary pool storage includes a top-level raidz vdev only hot spare, cache, and log devices can be removed."

You have RAIDZ vdevs in your pool. You're outta luck.