Is it possible to install updated NIC drivers in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why do you believe every other user on this forum uses EDIT,
"Every other user"? Really? Why are weyou making an issue of this? It is not a norm here, it is not required in the forum rules, and it doesn't add much (if anything) to readability--and what it does add can easily be outweighed by the factors @Stranded Camel lists in his last post. You're trying to enforce a rule that exists only in your mind. Stop it.

Edit: as above

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
You, @Ericloewe, along with @zoomzoom, truly do a disservice to the community and the company that sponsors it.
Don't confuse @Ericloewe's position with @zoomzoom's. @Ericloewe is simply pointing out that, as he said, your workflow sucks--the method you're suggesting to reply to multiple posts is far more complicated than necessary. Quoting from multiple posts in a single reply is simplicity itself. While reading a topic (like this one), highlight some text you want to respond to. You'll see a little gray button pop up at the end of the highlighted text saying "Reply". Click Reply, and the text will be copied into the Quick Reply box (at the bottom of the page), all properly formatted. Repeat for as many quotes or posts as you want to reply to.

zoomzoom

Guru
"Every other user"? Really?
Do you regularly run across threads were the same user has posted numerous posts one after another?
Why are weyou making an issue of this?
Are we reading the same thread? I didn't make an issue out of it, until this ridiculous post, after asking politely in three separate posts... one would reasonably infer the opposite of many of your... perceptions.
It is not a norm here, it is not required in the forum rules, and it doesn't add much (if anything) to readability
I don't routinely come across threads where the same user makes post after post after post in a row... perhaps you have a different definition of "norm"?
--and what it does add can easily be outweighed by the factors @Stranded Camel lists in his last post.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one...
You're trying to enforce a rule that exists only in your mind.
Perhaps your perspective is a bit skewed... Since when does a polite request mean "enforce", or "etiquette" [in context of usage] mean "rule"- clearly we have very different definitions of common words. You may find this site useful =]
Seriously? o_O What are you, twelve?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I didn't make an issue out of it, until this ridiculous post, after asking politely in three separate posts...
...after "asking politely" that he do something that he's under no obligation to do. Your view of "etiquette" in this regard is, to put it gently, not universally held. And "asking politely" three posts in a row is making an issue out of it.
perhaps you have a different definition of "norm"?
Perhaps so. I define it, and use it in this context, to mean expected or appropriate behavior, not necessarily common behavior. It's similar to a rule, though somewhat less formal. For example, it's very common behavior for people to post threads asking for help without providing any of the details that we need in order to help them, but that isn't the "norm." I have not seen a norm here that says it's inappropriate to reply to your own thread to provide additional information, and yes, it's happened before, and it will no doubt happen again. I've never seen it expressed that the "appropriate behavior" is to do as you're "asking" (or, more accurately, demanding) and edit your last post if there isn't a response from someone else.
Since when does a polite request mean "enforce",
When you repeat the "polite request" three times (with rapidly decreasing degrees of politeness), and then escalate it to a demand, I call that "enforcing."

First "polite request":
Please edit the last post to add things if someone hasn't replied, by clicking on the edit link next to the time of your post.

Second "polite request":
Please EDIT your last post to add things too if someone hasn't replied after your latest post
I'm sure the red print, caps, bold, italics, and underline were meant in all courtesy and politeness.

Third "polite request":
if you need to repost or reply to someone else once you've already posted, and someone else hasn't posted since your last post, click the Edit link next to the time of your post.

Fourth post: Nah, I'm not going to quote the whole thing.

Yes, I call that "enforcing." You've invented a rule, and you're demanding that @Stranded Camel follow it. I don't think you have any business demanding that other posters here conform to your view of how they should post.

Seriously? o_O What are you, twelve?
You point me to a dictionary, and then ask this? The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
@Stranded Camel did not do anything against the rules by posting 2-3 times in a row. According to established norms of netiquette, I would say it is generally frowned upon, but we do not have a rule advising against it. That being said I am not going to lock this thread because I see that as punishing the op. Let me speak clearly on this. Asking for someone to follow a rule that we don't enforce is kind of silly. Requesting that people follow the rules is also the duty of a moderator. If anyone feels that someone has done something against the rules or is causing a problem, please feel free to use the report function so that we will see it quickly. I feel like many people have gotten spun up over something that does not matter. I'd appreciate it if everyone can help to keep this thread on topic. Any more off topic / name calling / argumentative posts after my posting will be deleted immediately.

Thank you.

Stux

MVP
I tried the nightly build, but it froze at the same point in the installation on a couple different USB sticks. But I'll keep my fingers crossed!

You need to open a bug report then. That bug is marked as resolved in 11-RC.

Isn't it?

Stranded Camel

Explorer
You need to open a bug report then. That bug is marked as resolved in 11-RC.

I've since upgraded to FreeNAS-11.0-RC3 (1d8ee7925) and it's working great!

Status
Not open for further replies.