Is it possible (or sensible) tu run an hypervisor in freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello everybody,

So, this is my first topic here, I'm reading documentation ans saving some money to build my own freenas and still have got many questions.

This is one of them and I will put some context to explain what's my intention here.

I had for a few years a home server composed of an odroid board with an USB RAID attached, besides CIFS resources the server run some software such as owncloud, bittorrent client, cups, and other things (OS is an ubuntu image).

I was happy with that setup until one of the bays on my RAID just died, luckily it was just a mirror and didn't lost any data. Still I want to upgrade to something hardware agnostic. A workmate told me about freenas and ZFS and just fits with my goal.

Now, the hardware is expensive (at least for me, and already read the hardware guides), and it has features that I really need (64 bit CPU, 1GB ethernet ...). Therefor I had this idea, I want to have freenas as a base OS and used only for CIFS/NFS (and managing the disks of course), then an hypervisor running a debian image (or whatever) running the software I mentioned and just accessing the freenas partitions via network (just as other computer in home will do).

I know that even possible I must have extra memory to run this OS (but 2GB will do).

Well that's it, the idea is to have two OS on the same server one managing the disks/resources and won't be modified almost never. And a secondary one where I can make any changes (without compromising data) and I can have snapshots and backups easily.

Sounds stupid? Has anyone tried something similar?

PigLover

Dabbler
FreeNAS 10 has bhyve integrated much better. Beta2 is out and you can give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeNAS 10 has bhyve integrated much better. Beta2 is out and you can give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes, FN10 beta is out, but it should not be used for anything more than testing. If you have important data, stick with the 9.10 train until 10 is officially released.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Thanks to both. Had no idea that such a thing existed, I was thinking more in xen or qemu but havin a built-in hypervisor is just perfect for my case.

Now I need to learn how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.