Is it possible for snapshot to cause ZFS panic?

ryan0413

Cadet
Hello all!

I have a TrueNAS Scale (latest version) server with a Supermicro X10SLL-F, 32GB of RAM, and a E3-1230v3. I have previously used this hardware as a TrueNAS system and recently began using it as a backup system with snapshot replication from my new main TrueNAS server. After the initial set up, I begin the replication service on one of the six datasets I need replicated but noticed it would restart once it hit a certain point in the process. I immediately thought it was a hardware issue (bad CPU, power supply, etc.). I have swapped out every single component in the server except the motherboard but still experience the same issue. I have also verified Watchdog is not an issue.

Four of the six datasets complete replication with no issue but the two that are causing the restart stop every time on a snapshot taken on the first daily snapshot. For example, I have weekly snapshots taken kept for 26 weeks and daily snapshots that are kept 28 days (all six datasets are set up this). The replication makes it through the weekly snapshots and panics once it hits the daily snapshots causing the reboot. Could this be a feature flag difference between the two systems? Not sure if anyone has experienced this and the best way to approach it but I would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance!