Is it posible for multiple zpools to use the same cache disk ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If obtaining an Intel Optane is too costly or stock being unavailable for me, can I look at Innodisk SATA SSDs with PLP ?
I don't know. Ask the vendor about the sustained write rate and the TBW number. Pick a device from the "approved devices" thread in this forum or do whatever you want to do but don't come back when you lost data.

And again: sticking an SLOG into a pool with asynchronous writes WILL NOT SPEED UP ANYTHING.

About my CCTV pool, how can data written to it from the CCTV vm (docker) being asynchronous?
The system inside the VM issues a write system call which is executed by the bhyve hypervisor inside TrueNAS which is delegated to ZFS which handles it asynchronously by writing to RAM and immediately acknowledging. Unless you set sync=always in which case it will be synchronous. And orders of magnitude slower. And still slower with an SLOG but faster than without.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Inside the VM there will be sync or async writes however your application and the VM's guest OS decide. I am only talking about how ZFS commits these writes to a virtual disk to your real disks/SSDs in the end.

sretalla