Is it posible for multiple zpools to use the same cache disk ?

vn_mnm

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I plan to have a single 500GB NVMe SSD serving as a cache disk for my TrueNAS SCALE system. Is it possible for multiple zpools to use the same cache disk, be it L2ARC or SLOG ? If not, is there a workaround that does not involve adding another NVMe SSD ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it possible for multiple zpools to use the same cache disk, be it L2ARC or SLOG ? If not, is there a workaround that does not involve adding another NVMe SSD ?
Yes, but not in a supported way/via the GUI... it's CLI only.

It has already been well documented in the forums, so I won't re-post that here. (seach for gpart to create the partitions and for zpool add for adding the device to the pool)

Then comes the question ... Why would you want to do that?

Firstly, cache is sort-of equivalent to what L2ARC does, but SLOG is absolutely not a write cache. (so wave goodbye to any hopes you had about adding a super-fast NVME drive and having all writes simply go to that until it's full, then eventually going to the disk slowly later).

L2ARC will also put heavy wear on your SSD... everything written to or read from the pool will cause writes to it and if you don't have a good one with very high write endurance, you'll burn it out quickly (like a year or 2)... all while maybe not even giving you a measurable performance boost... sometimes even potentially slowing you down (since there's always writing going on, even when you're reading).

If you're thinking about SLOG, make sure you understand what it is and why you would want it... at best, what it does is reduce the amount of slowness that comes with doing sync writes, it will never make things go faster than async writes (set sync=disabled on the dataset/zvol).

Have a look at something like this: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/

ALso make sure that before you do either of those, you have already addressed the obvious thing (at least 64GB of RAM)... without that, you'll be unlikely to get any benefit from either L2ARC or SLOG.

vn_mnm

Explorer
Yes, but not in a supported way/via the GUI... it's CLI only. It has already been well documented in the forums, so I won't re-post that here. (seach for gpart to create the partitions and for zpool add for adding the device to the pool) Then comes the question ... Why would you want to do that? Firstly, cache is sort-of equivalent to what L2ARC does, but SLOG is absolutely not a write cache. (so wave goodbye to any hopes you had about adding a super-fast NVME drive and having all writes simply go to that until it's full, then eventually going to the disk slowly later). L2ARC will also put heavy wear on your SSD... everything written to or read from the pool will cause writes to it and if you don't have a good one with very high write endurance, you'll burn it out quickly (like a year or 2)... all while maybe not even giving you a measurable performance boost... sometimes even potentially slowing you down (since there's always writing going on, even when you're reading). If you're thinking about SLOG, make sure you understand what it is and why you would want it... at best, what it does is reduce the amount of slowness that comes with doing sync writes, it will never make things go faster than async writes (set sync=disabled on the dataset/zvol). Have a look at something like this: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/ ALso make sure that before you do either of those, you have already addressed the obvious thing (at least 64GB of RAM)... without that, you'll be unlikely to get any benefit from either L2ARC or SLOG.

Thank you for your time and caring in this comment buddy. I am afraid that diving the drive into multiple partitions each caching a different zpool for different purpose might cause each partition and hence the disk to wear out un-evenly. Will partitioning the disk drive do any changes to the effectiveness of the wear-leveling algorithm embedded in the disk's firmware ?

My super-fast NVMe SSD is this one (the 500 GB version) : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-gold-p31-m2-nvme-ssd-review

Thank you in advance again.

Etorix

Wizard
Thank you for your time and caring in this comment buddy. I am afraid that diving the drive into multiple partitions each caching a different zpool for different purpose might cause each partition and hence the disk to wear out un-evenly. Will partitioning the disk drive do any changes to the effectiveness of the wear-leveling algorithm embedded in the disk's firmware ?
Only the manufacturer could tell, but partitioning is likely to have adverse effects.

My super-fast NVMe SSD is this one (the 500 GB version) : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-gold-p31-m2-nvme-ssd-review
Just a (good) consumer drive.
No PLP: Not suitable for a SLOG (which you probably do not need) under any circumstance.
And not the data centre-grade endurance one would like for a L2ARC (assuming you have enough RAM already).

Use the P31 as system drive in a desktop, or to host VM/containers in SCALE.

If you do have a use for a SLOG, get an Optane or Radian RMS.
If you do have a use for a L2ARC, get a data centre SSD with a decent DWPD rating.

vn_mnm

Explorer
Only the manufacturer could tell, but partitioning is likely to have adverse effects.

Just a (good) consumer drive.
No PLP: Not suitable for a SLOG (which you probably do not need) under any circumstance.
And not the data centre-grade endurance one would like for a L2ARC (assuming you have enough RAM already).

Use the P31 as system drive in a desktop, or to host VM/containers in SCALE.

If you do have a use for a SLOG, get an Optane or Radian RMS.
If you do have a use for a L2ARC, get a data centre SSD with a decent DWPD rating.

Thanks for your comment buddy. I have some questions regarding partitioning and replacing the cache disk. If @sretalla is still interested in helping me out, I look forward to your opinion too.
  1. Do you know how to use the gpart command to automatically divide the cache disk into multiple partitions of equal capacity ?
  2. In case of the P31 SSD serving as the cache disk (possibly L2ARC) and dying unexpectedly but I have not yet replaced it with another unit, during that period of time, where will the cached data be written and stored on and will there be any harm on RAM and (or) OS drives ?
  3. If, in another scenario, the P31 serves as the OS drive and another slower but 3K P/E ratio serves as the cache drive ( https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-1164 ), will the system be bottlenecked by it ?
Thank you in advance again.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In case of the P31 SSD serving as the cache disk (possibly L2ARC) and dying unexpectedly but I have not yet replaced it with another unit, during that period of time, where will the cached data be written and stored on and will there be any harm on RAM and (or) OS drives ?
If the L2ARC drive dies, your pool can work without L2ARC (using ARC only, meaning RAM... which is already used in front of the L2ARC when it's in use)... no guarantees of how gracefully it will fail, but it's easy enough to remove a failed L2ARC from the pool and continue as normal right after.

Do you know how to use the gpart command to automatically divide the cache disk into multiple partitions of equal capacity ?
Just eyeball it for the first partition (half the nominal capacity like 256/512) , then don't specify a size for the second and it'll take up the rest.

If you do decide to go down this road, read this: https://openzfs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/performance-tuning.html#whole-disks-vs-partitions

And also this, since you have an NVME device... maybe the stated use case matches for you: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-d....html?highlight=overprovision#synchronous-i-o

If, in another scenario, the P31 serves as the OS drive and another slower but 3K P/E ratio serves as the cache drive ( https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-1164 ), will the system be bottlenecked by it ?
The OS doesn't need to be a fast drive, just don't use a USB stick (nor an SD card), basically anything else is fine.

I would again counsel a strong review of your actual need for any kind of L2ARC or SLOG... generally speaking, most folks who think they need it actually don't and then come back complaining that nothing got faster (because it didn't, since they didn't need the feature in the first place).

vn_mnm

Explorer
If the L2ARC drive dies, your pool can work without L2ARC (using ARC only, meaning RAM... which is already used in front of the L2ARC when it's in use)... no guarantees of how gracefully it will fail, but it's easy enough to remove a failed L2ARC from the pool and continue as normal right after.

Just eyeball it for the first partition (half the nominal capacity like 256/512) , then don't specify a size for the second and it'll take up the rest.

If you do decide to go down this road, read this: https://openzfs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/performance-tuning.html#whole-disks-vs-partitions

The OS doesn't need to be a fast drive, just don't use a USB stick (nor an SD card), basically anything else is fine.

I would again counsel a strong review of your actual need for any kind of L2ARC or SLOG... generally speaking, most folks who think they need it actually don't and then come back complaining that nothing got faster (because it didn't, since they didn't need the feature in the first place).
Thank you very much for your advice again. Earlier, I forgot to also include a question about post-partitioning: After having partitioned the cache disk using the gpart command, can I use the webgui to assign these partitions as cache drives to various zpools instead of the cli ?

Well, regarding my usage & hardware, I will be using this rig as both a NAS & VM server hosting a router firewall and a CCTV host.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10) which has 3 m2 nvme slots.

I plan to put 2x Transcend MTE452T2 ssds in the lower slots as OS drives and the SK Hynix P31 in the upper slot as cache drive. I will also be having 2x 3.5” SATA HDDs serving as mirroring NAS data zpool & 1x Samsung 850 Evo 2.5” SATA SSD serving as VM zpool. I may later buy a Samsung 870 QVO 2.5” SATA serving as the CCTV zpool.

sretalla