ZFS Log and Cache on the same device/RAID?

geilemann

Cadet
Hi,

i'm currently setting up my new server with Scale.

I want to speed up my write rates a bit so i decided to try Cache with them. Reading is already at max. from 10GBit, Write only about 650mb/s.

So best way to do is, from what I red, to give a 50GB ZFS Log Cache and the rest of the SSD for L2ARC cache, is that correkt?

I have 8x14TB WD Red and 2x2TB NVME (from a chia mining project).

When I try to add Vdev to my pool, I can only add single physical devices. I would like to do RAID 1 Mirror and give a 50GB partition to ZFS Log and the rest of NVME Space for L2ARC.

Is that possible? And how?

Regards

danb35

Hall of Famer
So best way to do is, from what I red, to give a 50GB ZFS Log Cache and the rest of the SSD for L2ARC cache, is that correkt?
I don't know what you read, but no, for at least three reasons:
  • SLOG only helps sync writes, and sync writes will always be slower than async. SLOG isn't a write cache.
  • As you've already found, TrueNAS only allows using whole devices for L2ARC and SLOG. You can use multiple devices if desired, but not part of a device. Sure, you can mess around at the CLI to get around this, but that isn't supported.
  • The desirable characteristics of a SLOG device are quite different than the desirable characteristics of a L2ARC device.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As danb35 pointed out, your idea significantly misunderstands SLOG. The SLOG/ZIL is not any sort of cache. You will only be hurting your performance. Please consider reviewing this article on what the SLOG is all about.