Is it normal for disks to hop around to different names after reboot? Also, can't see disk serials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurrier

Patron
I was just doing some performance testing, did a reboot, and then noticed that the drives are now assigned different names (da0, da1, etc.) even though they are plugged into the same exact ports as before. Is this normal? It's strange because the "reporting>disk" tab, for example, shows the da3 disk with a partial history from one disk before reboot and a partial history from a different disk after reboot. Doesn't seem right to me.

Another thing (possibly a separate issue) I've found is that some disks do not show their serials in the "view disks" tab. Is that normal? I am able to use smartctl with all disks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The daXX are based on your controller and the order in which it detected them in the system. They are not always the same, they aren't required to stay the same, and for that reason you shouldn't label them with stickers that say daXX on them. Normally, it should stay the same between reboots and such unless a disk fails, you move the disks, or unplug them.

Sounds like you have a problem to solve...

scurrier

Patron
Strange thing with the serials... I detached/destroyed one of my pools and recreated it. Now the serial is showing up for all the drives in that pool again. But not for another drive in a different pool. All these drives are on the same LSI 2308 on my X10SL7-F. Hmm. More investigation needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.