wipe a faulty disk has to reboot

gy145

Cadet
I am running TrueNAS 12.0 U6.1, and have a faulty disk on the pool (obviously it is due to old age of the disk, the s.m.a.r.t keep reporting increased relocated sectors).
What I want to do is to bring the disk offline and then wipe it, such that after days when the replaced disk comes I can just swap quickly without wiping.
However the TrueNAS GUI does not allow me to do this without reboot. Is that normal? I am wondering it that a GUI bug or I miss something on my side.
Details: When the disk becomes faulty, the pool will become degraded. Then Go to Storage->Pool->pool status, the disk will show "faulty", the option on the disk has both "online" and "offline" available to choose. I choose "offline", nothing happens, no error, and the pool status still show "faulty" on the disk. Then I go to Storage-> Disks, the faulty disk does not have the "wipe" option. To wipe, I have to reboot my computer, and this time the disk shows as "offline" and the "wipe" option is there.
Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Once you offline the disk, the system made it ready to eject, so of course the GUI isn't expecting you to do something with it... if you want to wipe it, don't offline it.

Alecmascot

Guru
Once you offline the disk, the system made it ready to eject, so of course the GUI isn't expecting you to do something with it... if you want to wipe it, don't offline it.
I hate to contradict you but I have just been through a drive replacement and after off-lining the drive, which completed without a reboot, the drive could be wiped in its "offline" state.
The OP's issue is that "Offline" did not complete/work. I have no answer to that other than the drive failure mode may have some bearing.

sretalla