Is it mirrored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearbyatom

Dabbler
Hi! I'm new to FreeNAS. I want my NAS to mirror my data. How do I know if my NAS is mirroring or not? I found the storage tab and I see my 2 drives and only 1 volume (See attached). So its in some kind of RAID...but what?

I just want to make sure I'm mirrored before I start dumping data on to my NAS.

Also

I want to create a Jail for the Plex plugin.

A lot of sites and videos I've found says to go to Volume manager, give volume name, select drives, select size, etc. etc. However my volume manager won't let me select drives, and size. No drives show up. I have 2 drives in some kind of RAID, and I think I assigned the entire size to storage leaving no room for anything else. Was I wrong to do this? Should I have left room for the Jail?

Please advise. Thanks!

Attachments

• scrn1.jpg
    scrn1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 269
  • scrn2.jpg
    scrn2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 275
  • scrn3.png
    scrn3.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Start the Shell and type zpool status. Post the results here, preferably inside [code] and [/code] tags.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do I know if my NAS is mirroring or not?
If you told it to mirror when you created the volume, then it's mirrored. If not, then it isn't. If you don't remember or understand what you told it, the volume size (3.6 TiB, or 4 TB) can give you a clue--what's the capacity of your two disks? If they're 2 TB disks, then they're striped; if they're 4 TB disks, then they're mirrored. But the place where the system will directly tell you is on the Volume Status page. From the Storage screen (the first screen shot you posted), click on the first entry for your pool name, then you'll see some buttons across the bottom. One of them will look like a blank sheet of notebook paper; click on that one. That will show you the status and configuration of your pool.

danb35

Hall of Famer
A lot of sites and videos I've found says to go to Volume manager, give volume name, select drives, select size, etc. etc.
That's the instructions to create a new volume, not to check the configuration of an existing one.
However my volume manager won't let me select drives, and size. No drives show up.
That's because they're already in use.
I think I assigned the entire size to storage leaving no room for anything else.
There is no "anything else" other than the OS itself, which is on the boot device. Jails, if you create them, will live in a dataset on your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.