Is FreeNAS right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augmont

Cadet
I need some advice or direction on a storage solution software.

I have a Dell Precision T7500 that has Win 2008 as the OS and a SuperMicro SAS2LP-MV8 controller. It has a 250GB drive for the Win 2008 OS and two (2) 5 TB's drives. This is all a new build. The T7500 will only be used as media server for Emby and storing MKV movie files and music. The T7500 only has legacy mode in the BIOS (no UEFI) which is why i had to purchase the SAS controller.

What I'm having trouble is finding a RAID/back up/et.c solution for the TB's drives. I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff and want something that will play nice with Emby and is cheap/close to free.

The kicker is I lack internet at home so i need a solution that doesn't require regular internet to update files.

Thoughts or recommendation? Will FreeNAS work for me?

Thanks.

mattbbpl

Patron
I don't think so. Without digging into the hardware compatibility of that machine, it sounds like you are not familiar with FreeNAS. The current OS is irrelevant as FreeNAS itself is the OS. It would completely replace Win2008. It sounds like you are not interested in (or perhaps not aware of) FreeNAS's strengths (such as data integrity) in which case a simpler OS such as Nas4Free or Win2008 would be a better option.

augmont

Cadet
I could turn the T7500 into a NAS or storage only and use another PC's for the media server. Would that change if FreeNAS if right for me?

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Meh... I'm just trolling a bit :P

mattbbpl

Patron
I could turn the T7500 into a NAS or storage only and use another PC's for the media server. Would that change if FreeNAS if right for me?
I honestly wouldn't bother. FreeNAS is very powerful, but also complicated and outside of what most people are used to. If you don't need or specifically want it's strengths, you're likely to find the headaches of learning it and using it to outweigh what you get out of it.

If all you want is a file dump to be hosted by Emby, you might as well use the Windows system that's already there. It will do exactly what you want in a more familiar package. The important thing to note here is that I'm not advocating Windows, I'm advocating familiarity. Based on what you've stated so far, I think you will be much more comfortable in a Windows environment and it will still meet your requirements.

augmont

Cadet
You're all correct. i really have no idea what i'm doing. the goal is to have at least 40 TB's of storage in total and possible more to share on home network with 3-4 clients.

as this is a new build i figured by starting with something better now so I wouldn't have to redo later once i start accumulating data.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
the goal is to have at least 40 TB's of storage in total and possible more to share on home network with 3-4 clients.
Don't forget to factor in the 20% overhead rule, giving you about 50TB raw storage to meet your 40TB usable space.

mattbbpl

Patron
You're all correct. i really have no idea what i'm doing. the goal is to have at least 40 TB's of storage in total and possible more to share on home network with 3-4 clients.

as this is a new build i figured by starting with something better now so I wouldn't have to redo later once i start accumulating data.
If you are set on going down the FreeNAS route, I strongly recommend reading the introductory information first. Start with the hardware recommendations sticky and then go to Cyberjock's FreeNAS primer powerpoint. Then if it's something you're still interested in start perusing the manual and forums. I had to lurk both for several months before I felt comfortable enough to build a system (and I still feel like a FreeNAS imbecile half the time).

And when you're ready to take the plunge, we'll be here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.