Is Domain Membership Required for CIFS Permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzartman

Contributor
I have a few CIFS shares setup to mount points on my FreeNAS box. I'm messing around with writing windows files directly to the shares. I have a windows 2012R2 domain controller that does all of my user authentication.

Do I need to join the FreeNAS box to the domain to get user/group owership written to the files/dirs written to the cifs share? The perms I'm getting now are the default I setup in the dataset permission settings.

Thanks

Greg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Shouldn't have to but you probably should bed because it will make life easier. You will have to create all the users you want to access the shares on freenas.

gzartman

Contributor
Thanks.

At this point, I'm using FreeNAS as a backup repository. I just want to sync data from one of my primary data arrays over to FreeNAS.

I'd like to be able to copy over all of the users/groups along with the ACLs. I was only able to copy over ACLs. However, this isn't the end of the world. I don't use quotas on my fileserver, so I can just re-apply user/group when the files are moved back to the main server if I need a restore.

I'll play around with adding freenas to the domain at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.