Is capable my hardware for my goals?

kidan007

Cadet
Hi, i want to make a NAS for home use (file sharing and media center in local network). i have this hardware:

1x Intel i225-V B3 2.5Gbps 4*LAN N5105 NAS Mini ITX Industrial Motherboard 17x17CM Soft Routing 2*M.2 NVMe 6*SATA3.0 HDMI2.0 DP
2x Hard Disk for NAS Western Digital WD SE 3.5'' de 2 a 12 Bahías, 4TB, SATA III, 6 Gbit/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache (WD4000F9YZ)
1X 3TB Disk
1X 8GB DDR4 sodimm
1X 4GB DDR4 sodimm
2X 256GB SSD M.2 NVEM PCI express
1X 128GB SATA SSD
1X 400W ATX Power Supply
2X USB 2.5Gbps adapters

My idea is to use the two 4TB drives as the main pool (Mirrior) for important documents, the 3TB drive for multimedia files (there would be no problem if the files are lost), the 128gb drive would be for system files. the motherboard has 4 2.5Gbps interfaces, so I'd like to link directly to our work computers via USB adapters (our computers are laptops). I have experience with the use of containers in linux and I would like to eventually be able to set up a virtual machine with debian+docker+portainer for home use. Eventually I could increase the size of the RAM.
Which is why I would like to ask you:
Do you think that is enough RAM for proxmox with 2 virtual machines (truenas+debian)?
How difficult would it be to manage the network links for each interface? Does the GUI have support for setting the addresses of each network interface or would it have to be from the command line?
Can I use nvme pci express ssd disk for cache and improve i/o? I have read in some threads that it is not recommended, but I don't know if it is convenient for my scenario or not.

I add a diagram of my current network and how I would integrate the NAS.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Sin título_0.png
    Sin título_0.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 100

jgreco

Resident Grinch
1X 8GB DDR4 sodimm
1X 4GB DDR4 sodimm
Do you think that is enough RAM for proxmox with 2 virtual machines (truenas+debian)?

Certainly not. TrueNAS CORE has a minimum memory requirement of 16GB all for itself, which is for just the basic system. You seem to be headed towards media center, so you really need more like 20GB dedicated just to the NAS, and when you consider Proxmox plus your Debian, you probably need a bare minimum of 24GB, preferably 32GB.

Even if you go with SCALE which currently has a minimum memory requirement of 8GB, you're going to be hosed because Linux ARC management is really poor and you only get 4GB of ARC out of that 8GB.

Can I use nvme pci express ssd disk for cache and improve i/o? I have read in some threads that it is not recommended, but I don't know if it is convenient for my scenario or not.

We do not recommend L2ARC with less than 64GB of ARC in the system. That means 64GB of RAM with TrueNAS CORE, or 128GB with SCALE. You might be able to get it to work with less, but it will have a harder time locating eligible optimal traffic to evict to the L2ARC.