FreeNAS on a Shuttle SZ170R8 V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyrka973

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to the FreeNAS universe.
I already have two NAS Synology CS407 (128 MB of memory and 2x 2 TB) and DS213 + (512 MB and 2x 2 TB). They are almost saturated.
I now want a more powerful NAS to run VMs, Docker, Plex, ... At Synology, a powerful NAS is too expensive.
I have now mounted FreeNAS for testing on a PC with an i7 960 but FreeBSD (bhyve) virtualization does not work with this processor. You need the VT-x support with the EPT and UG flags. He misses the flag UG.

So I will mount a NAS "home" FreeNAS with these elements at the beginning:

1x Shuttle SZ170R8 V2
1x Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0 GHz)
1x Crucial DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz CL17 X8
1x 120GB SSD for the system
1x 1 TB disk for data.

The goal is to do tests with the Jail and VM part.

In a second step, I will add:
3x Crucial DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz CL17 X8 to reach 64 GB
1x Samsung SSD 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB for the system,
4x 8 or 10 TB disk

The Shuttle is certified Linux. This does not necessarily mean that FreeBSD will run on it but there is a good chance.

Do you think that FreeNAS or FreeBSD could have problems with the chosen hardware?
Can I install the system on the M.2 in PCI and boot on it?

I would like the opinion of the FreeNAS Jedi Masters.

Thank you.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Since almost 36 hours have passed since you posted this, it looks like you get a FreeNAS Padawan Learner :)

For long term stability, this motherboard and power supply(^ABOVE^) would not fall under FreeNAS recommended hardware guidelines.
As you have noticed, the i5 and the i7 processors fall short for ECC memory support. IMHO this fact is a deal breaker :(
When you start adding VMs and jails on top of FreeNAS, memory integrity becomes even more important.
Recommend you keep looking, and May The Force Be With You.

Status
Not open for further replies.