IronWolf/WD Red 8-bay limit

sour

Cadet
...8TB Red 5400 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS HDD Retail Kit from WD is well-suited for NAS environments with up to eight 3.5" drive bays...

Designed for use in 1-8 bay NAS environments..., the 8TB IronWolf 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS HDD...

does this 8-bay limit mean that vdevs are limited to 8 drives, or that you can literally only put them in 8-drive bays? For example if I have a 12-bay Xyratex HB-1235, is it fine if I have 2 vdevs with 6 drives or 1x 8-drive vdev and 1x 4-drive vdev?

Snow

Patron
I am not sure why they have that as Limiting number, But I can say I have had 12 reds working on the same pool in 2 Vdev's
My main system has a mix of WD Reds and Seagate IronWolfs 8 in a Vdev And 8 in another Vdev.,3Tb disks in one and 4Tb disks in another.

does this 8-bay limit mean that vdevs are limited to 8 drives, or that you can literally only put them in 8-drive bays? For example if I have a 12-bay Xyratex HB-1235, is it fine if I have 2 vdevs with 6 drives or 1x 8-drive vdev and 1x 4-drive vdev?
Yes it is Fine, I am pretty sure they have design the Firmware to work with up to 8 disks in the Vdev together For best performance.

Linkman

Patron
It has nothing to do with the width of the VDEV, it's mostly marketing to differentiate Reds from Red Pros. There might be a differences in the firmware for dealing with vibration, that's the only thing I can think of that might be different between running eight drives and twelve drives.

My case only holds eight drives, but if I could stuff more drives in there, I wouldn't hesitate to use regular old Reds.