ipV6 DDNS for jails

beralt

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I would like to use ddns for remote IPv6 access to my jails.
I need to set-up DDNS with IPv6, because my ISP does not assign IPv4 addresses.

Some words on my set-up:

I am running FreeNAS 11.2 with several iocage jails that should be externally accessible.

After some fiddling with the jail network configuration, I finally manage to have both a link local (fe80::ff:60ff:fe14:fa0a) and a global (2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::ff:60ff:fe14:fa0a) ipv6 address, where the global one gets its prefix (2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX) from the router and the host identifier (fe80::ff:60ff:fe14:fa0a) unique for the jail.
If anyone is interested, I managed to get this working by adding

ifconfig_epair0b_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv auto_linklocal"

to /etc/rc.conf in the jail and setting

"ip6": "inherit",
"ip6_addr": "vnet0|accept_rtadv",

in /mnt/iocage/jails/<jailname>/config.json.

On the router firewall, I set up a traffic role which allows communication on a given port with the host.
I tested that this works, i.e. by accessing my 2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::ff:60ff:fe14:fa0a from outside I get access to the jail.

Since the prefix changes regularly, I want to use a DDNS service to update the address.
I choose myonlineportal.net, because they are free and support IPv6.

My question now is as follows:
* Do I need to configure a ddns client on the jail (and all the other jails), in order to update the IP with the DDNS provider?
* If yes, what would be the recommended way to do that?
* If no, can I use the FreeNAS DDNS service for that, or does this only support reporting the FreeNAS own IPv6 address?

D

dlavigne

Which DDNS service do you use? Do they support IPv6?

If yes, does it seem to work from FreeNAS if you configure DDNS? If not, that would be worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org.

beralt

Dabbler
I am using myonlineportal.net and yes, it does work from the FreeNAS.
It also works from the jails:
At the moment, I install, configure and enable inadyn-mt in each jail.

My question was more if there was a generic way to use the FreeNas DDNS service (on the FreeNAS Host) to report the IPv6 addresses of running jails, rather than having to set-up DDNS for each jail individually from within the jail.