SOLVED ipmi0 failed to read address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazap55

Dabbler
I'm running Freenas 9.10.1 on an Asrock C2750D4I motherboard.
I'm running the IPMI on the dedicated marvel port on a static ip and I've never had any problems connecting and controlling my Asrock from my main computer, and still don't.
My question is why does Freenas need to use Asrock's built-in IPMI ? And if it does, is there a place for me to type in the static ip address for Freenas to use ?

I thank you for any info you could shed on this, for I get this error daily now ;

ipmi0 failed to read address
ipmi0 error 5f

Tazap55

Dabbler
No one know if Freenas needs to use IPMI, or can it just be disabled or not ?

Thanks in advance,
Tazap55

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
No need to use the IPMI within FreeNAS. Just go to the IPMI address in your web browser as you have done in the past.

You may be able to eliminate the message by putting in the IPMI's Static Address, but have not tried it personally. If it detects your IPMI, then there should be a [IPMI] tab under "Network" (https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_network.html?highlight=network#ipmi).

Mirfster

rosabox

Explorer
There is a bug report: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16028
and I've also opened a ticket with Asrock and communicating with them at the moment ...

Edit: And there is a workaround - unload the ipmi module by putting "kldunload ipmi" in postinit (and reboot).

Last edited:

Tazap55

Dabbler
Rosabox,
How do I put that "kldunload ipmi" in postinit please ? I know nothing about Linux (
Thanks in advance

Mirfster

How do I put that "kldunload ipmi" in postinit please ? I know nothing about Linux (

In the GUI...
[Tasks] - [Add Init/Shutdown Script]

Should look like this:
upload_2016-8-16_21-9-7.png

rosabox

Explorer
There is new info in the bug report:
Workaround for that problem is:

disable Watchdog in BIOS ,ad add tunable:
watchdogd_enable , value = NO , type: rc.conf

the problem is in BMC it self, each time watchdog timer being reset by watchdogd IPMIMain process in BMC writes configuration to flash, this causes wareout of flash, when flash write fails BMC linux kernel panics and stop working.
i am running 3 months now with watchdog disabled and no more problems with asrockrack boards (i ahve 3 of them)
i reported BMC bug to AsrockRack support but i got only information that they are working on that problem.

I have no idea if it's neccessary, the watchdog is disabled in BIOS and "kldunload ipmi" is in postinit but the "wareout of flash" worries me - I've read stories (elsewhere) of non booting boards because of this.

Tazap55

Dabbler
I too have always had watchdog disabled in bios, and now have "kldunload ipmi" in postinit. I wonder if Freenas is trying to access the watchdog timer through the ipmi which caused this initial problem ? I will keep an eye this as well and post ant more problems. But I doubt that "wareout of flash" can happen if Freenas can't "see" the ipmi to cause any watchdog problems. (just guessing here)

rosabox

Explorer
I would guess the same but to be on the safe side I've added the tunable :smile:

Tazap55

Dabbler
Having a slight problem with my Plex server when I use that tunable :(
So I disabled it and no problems :)

rosabox

Explorer
Some news from Asrock support.
There is a suspicion, it has something to do with the new Noctua "custom designed PWM IC with SCD (Smooth Commutation Drive)".
So here is the question: " What fans do you use?"
I use 3x Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans.

PS: I'm actually running with the IPMI module loaded (I've removed the "kldunload ipmi") but with the added tunable, no problem so far ...

Reactions: fta

fta

Contributor
I've added the tunable and disabled my cron job that runs once per hour to set the fans to high. Note for anyone adding the tunable: if you don't want to reboot after, just run this:

Code:
[12:34:34][root@freenas ~]# /etc/rc.d/watchdogd stop
Stopping watchdogd.
Waiting for PIDS: 2305.

Tazap55

Dabbler
I'm also running all Noctua fans, the very best at cooling with least noise. In my Fractal Design 304 Mini ITX case, I have 1 at rear(NF-A14), 2 in the front(NF-A9), and 1 tiny one(NF-A6x25) glued on the cpu heatsink, that keeps the mobo near 42 C and cpu near 32 C. None of them running at full speed, closer to 75%, and very quiet with 5 WD red 4tb drives.

Last edited:

Tazap55

Dabbler
Have any of you done an Asrock firmware update over IPMI for the C2750D4I ? Mine came with bios version 2.80, and bmc version 23. But I see bios version 27 and bmc version 2.90 are available. Do both need to be done or just the bmc ? If both are needed, which one first ? Also are there any problems doing the update(s) ?

Thanks for any light shed on this :)

rosabox

Explorer
I have done both BIOS and IPMI on my C2550D4I, right after I received it.
I think I did the BIOS first but I don't think it matters.
It was easy, I just followed the "How to update" on the download page.

Status
Not open for further replies.