iohyve VMs not starting after upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0

nickt

Contributor
Hi,

I've got a couple of Debian VMs manually created using iohyve back in the FN 9.3 days. They were working fine on FN 11.3. They still work in TrueNAS 12 (Core 12.0-U3), but they don't auto-start when I reboot my TN server.

I've got the two needed tuneables set (RC type):

Code:
iohyve_enable YES
iohyve_flags kmod=1 net=igb0

The only clue I have is an unexpected operator error from /var/log/console.log (whatever that means):

Code:
May  1 13:24:11 saturn Starting iohyve guests...
May  1 13:24:11 saturn [: kmod=1: unexpected operator
May  1 13:24:11 saturn Loading kernel modules...
May  1 13:24:11 saturn bridge "bridge0" is already enabled on this machine...
May  1 13:24:11 saturn Setting up correct sysctl value...
May  1 13:24:11 saturn net.link.tap.up_on_open: 0 -> 1

I can manually start the VMs using iohyve start <VM> ssh'ing after TN has finished booting. They work fine until the next TN restart.

Not too sure where else to look.

Any ideas?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You should really migrate them to the native TrueNAS VM management framework. Iohyve hasn't been supported in FreeNAS in years.

nickt

Contributor
You should really migrate them to the native TrueNAS VM management framework. Iohyve hasn't been supported in FreeNAS in years.

I know... I should - I've moved most of my containers over to a new managed VM, but these two VMs are a pain - I'd rather not have to rebuild them. I thought support for iohyve was still there.

Maybe a question: I've never had any luck transferring an iohyve VM image to the new managed VM. Are there any guides to help with this now? It was a few years ago I last tried.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Maybe a question: I've never had any luck transferring an iohyve VM image to the new managed VM. Are there any guides to help with this now? It was a few years ago I last tried.
Isn't iohyve just a wrapper around bhyve? What hapoens when you create a new VM and assign the zvol or file to a virtual disk device, then try to boot it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, I haven't tried it or even thought about it in a long time, but it should be little more than moving over the virtual disk and configuring networking.

nickt

Contributor
Yeah - it certainly should be that easy. But it wasn't last time I tried. Easy enough to create a VM and map the disk etc, but last time I tried, nothing happened when I attempted to boot the VM. It looked to me like the issue was a change from grub (iohyve) to UEFI (TrueNAS native). I couldn't figure out how to reconfigure the VM image from one to the other.