iocage Shared IP jails and TrueNAS GUI weirdness

TomWaller

Dabbler
This is somewhat related to my previous post here:

Shared IP jails don’t seem to work through the GUI in TrueNAS. I can manually create jails with the same IP address on a secondary interface (Bridge associated with a VLAN) but for some reason when trying to configure this through the GUI I get an error stating the IP address is already in use in the system.

Is this a known issue with TrueNAS?

I’ve seen lots of advice on here about using VNET, but according to the iocage documentation, VNET is marked experimental, and Shared IP is the recommended approach.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
OMG ... nothing experimental about VNET. I run a data center of 100 servers with roughly 1000 VNET jails total.

TomWaller

Dabbler
OMG ... nothing experimental about VNET. I run a data center of 100 servers with roughly 1000 VNET jails total.
Curious isn’t it. Seen loads of mention of VNET everywhere else, just not the official docs.

Don’t suppose you ran any Shared IP configs and can provide any advice on my setup could you? Really struggling to resolve this.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The point of VNET is to give each jail its own IP stack. So that's what we run. And why we specifically picked jails as the platform for our hosting product.

Observations:
  • the iocage project is somewhat stalled
  • this includes its documentation which is terribly outdated
  • there was a fork/rewrite (libioc) that isn't seeing much activity, either
  • iXsystems maintain their own fork of iocage to supply jail functionality in TrueNAS
  • these two versions might have diverged or might do so in the future - I honestly don't know
  • most people I know who run jails on plain FreeBSD (like us) are either using no jail manager at all (the base system can fundamentally do everything) or actively looking into more modern and maintained projects like Bastille
  • that does not change the situation for TrueNAS and I doubt iXsystems is planning to change that as long as their version of iocage works for them
  • I do expect some minor improvements in networking in 13.0-U1 or -U2 - see this issue.
Most advice I give on this forum is founded in a very solid understanding of how jails (specifically VNET ones) work on plain FreeBSD plus hours of tinkering with my own TrueNAS CORE. We do not use TrueNAS to run jails @work. But we do use the "official" version of iocage for now.