iocage ports plex media server not available locally

Cyberfly

Cadet
Hi,

I am not sure this is an issue with the jail at all, but I thought you guys would at least help me exclude that possibility. And if it is a networking issue, maybe there is some knowledgeable people around here, as well.

The problem:
When browsing to jail-ip:32400 I can access the gui hosted by the plex media server. I am not prompted to name my server, though. There is no server entry in the settings.

Background:
I am running TrueNAS 13.0 and have installed plexmediaserver-plexpass from ports in an iocage jail (13.1-RELEASE). I think I have set up the mounts for media correctly, I can see them if I log into the jail (though as root, not as plex user). I hope permissions are working, as well. I found that the server should be picked up, even if no media is available, so this seems anyways a problem for later.
On the networking side, I recently switched to a Ubiquiti setup with a USG responsible for the routing. I am new to this, so I might be doing something wrong on this front. Both the jail and the PC I am trying to configure plex with are on the same subnet. I had a working plex jail on a different ssd with this networking setup, until I pulled out this ssd (only jails) in favour of a larger one and installed plex media server fresh.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Volts

Patron
Plex can be "claimed" from the local subnet. Since that isn't working, I also wonder if there's a networking issue. Perhaps NAT is enabled for the jail, but shouldn't be?

Are the TrueNAS host and this specific Jail on different subnets, or the same? How is it plumbed physically? Does the TrueNAS host have multiple physical interfaces?

You mention another PC on the same subnet. How do packets get from that PC to the jail? How is the USG involved?

Please describe the desired network configuration (draw a picture on a napkin?) and then show the configurations of the relevant devices.

What are the Jail's network settings? Particularly the NAT (usually disabled for Plex) and VNET (usually enabled) settings, as well as the other interface and networking settings. Screenshots of the Basic Properties and Network Properties might be quickest.

---

Also see the On a Different Network section here:

The SSH or PuTTY port-forwarding methods are useful for accessing and "claiming" a "remote" Plex server. That won't resolve any underlying network issues, but it's still nice to be able to access Plex itself.

Cyberfly

Cadet
NAT is not enabled for the jail, VNET is:
jail_settings.jpg

I haven't changed anything on the network settings of the jail, I think:
jail_network_settings.jpg

Here is the network map, network mask is /24:
NetworkMap.jpg

The NAS has two network interfaces, but I am not using one of them. So physically both TrueNAS and the plex jail are on the same port of the switch with different IPs on the same subnet.

Volts

Patron
I agree, those network settings seem simple and reasonable.

Try the SSH port-forwarding method to claim the Plex server and get access to the server interface.
Then disconnect the port forward and access the Plex server directly at http://ip.ad.dr.es:32400/web/.
In Plex, go to Settings -> Manage -> Console.

The last few entries should be a Request from your web browser. Does it show the expected IP address?

Something vaguely like this:

Code:
Request: [10.10.10.150:64134 (Allowed Network (Subnet))] GET /activities (9 live) TLS GZIP Signed-in Token (Username) (Browser)

Cyberfly

Cadet
Try the SSH port-forwarding method to claim the Plex server and get access to the server interface.
I have never done that. Can you elaborate?
I know how to SSH into my TrueNAS box and have set up permissions do do so from my windows machine. From what I googled, I need to SSH into the jail directly with extra tunnel settings. Is that correct? I think I need to enable SSH for the jail, then...

Cyberfly

Cadet
I made some progress, I think.
I created a new user in the jail so I can have a valid login, enabled sshd with
Code:
echo 'sshd_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
service sshd start

and used putty with tunnel settings (Connections->SSH->Tunnels):
Source port 8.8.8.8
Destination localhost:32400

Then opened a browser on my windows machine and navigated to localhost:8888. I was prompted to log in, which I thought was a good sign. Now I am staring at a spinning circle (it has been a few minutes)...

plex_thinking.jpg

Is it looking at my media or is something wrong?

Edit 1: Holy sh*t! It is working now. I refreshed after waiting for half an hour or so and my server was found. Now to see If it will appear without the tunnel and then reversing the changes made to the jail. Thanks for your help, I will report back about my further luck.
Edit 2: Took a while to download all the metadata, but everything seems to work fine locally now. Thanks again. Now to fix the double-NAT problem with my ISP...

Last edited: