SOLVED iocage Jail can't create mount point (jail: mount.fstab: missing information)

cdiddy

Dabbler
FreeNAS-11.2-U7
Last night, I set up a new jail using CLI from putty, and everything went fine. Added several mount points, service was started up and everything was working properly.

Today, I used the FreeNAS GUI to stop the jail, and make a change to a mount point... and all of the mount points except one were incomplete... the incomplete ones will allow me to choose source and destination directories, but after i click SAVE, it's still the same incomplete entries. Trying to start the jail anyways results in
Code:
jail: mount.fstab: /mnt/POOL/share/: missing information

Obviously, my first instinct is to try to find the difference between the one that stayed correctly filled out, but could not tell what was different.
Here is the source/destination for the one that works (and i am afraid to attempt to edit it for fear that it too will become incomplete)
CORRECT ENTRY:
source = /mnt/POOL/share/config/app destination = /mnt/POOL/iocage/jails/app/root/config

EXAMPLE OF WHAT I WANT IN THE INCOMPLETE ENTRIES:
source = /mnt/POOL/share/#files/#photos destination = /mnt/POOL/iocage/jails/app/root/files/photos

EXAMPLE OF WHAT I ACTUALLY GET:
source = /mnt/POOL/share/ destination =

thinking that something was wrong with the GUI, i deleted the messed up mount points, SSH with putty, create a mount point, and start the jail using CLI... aaaaaannnnndddd.......
Code:
jail: mount.fstab: /mnt/POOL/share/: missing information

Last edited:
Can you post that actual fstab? Run from a freenas host shell, where JAIL is the name of your particular jail.
Code:
cat /mnt/iocage/jails/JAIL/fstab

Something is wonky in there.

I guess im not sure how your iocage is, but this line has too much info /mnt/POOL/iocage/jails/app/root/files/photos It should read like this /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/cartoons. You shouldnt have to specify POOL, because /mnt/iocage is the pool.

cdiddy

Dabbler
I guess im not sure how your iocage is, but this line has too much info /mnt/POOL/iocage/jails/app/root/files/photos It should read like this /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/cartoons. You shouldn't have to specify POOL, because /mnt/iocage is the pool.
well it may have been a noob mistake when I set it up the first time, but on my system the name of the pool is "POOL", and "iocage" is a dataset in the pool. "share" is also a dataset in the pool, right next to iocage.
POOL
>share
>>/#files/#photos <---- this is my source
>iocage
>>downlaod
>>images
>>jails
>>>app
>>>>root/files/photos <--------- this is the destination
>>log
>>releases
>>templates
>jails <---warden jails not yet moved to iocage

Last edited:

cdiddy

Dabbler
Can you post that actual fstab? Run from a freenas host shell, where JAIL is the name of your particular jail.
Something is wonky in there.

bizarre... the line in the fstab is complete. i've been changing the names of directories and the like up to this point but i'm tired and not gonna do that from this point on.
Code:
root@freenas:~ # cat /mnt/BIG_POOP/iocage/jails/plex/fstab
/mnt/BIG_POOP/bigshare/nasconfig_bkps/plex      /mnt/BIG_POOP/iocage/jails/plex/root/config     nullfs  rw      0       0 # Added by iocage on 2019-11-23 05:30:28
/mnt/BIG_POOP/bigshare/#Music   /mnt/BIG_POOP/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/Music        nullfs  rw      0       0 # Added by iocage on 2019-11-23 15:52:57
root@freenas:~ #

You can add the entries to the fstab manually by using nano instead of cat. Use tabs and not spaces between entries. Once you have the edits like you think they should be, try starting the jail at cmd line and see what it says. iocage start plex

cdiddy

Dabbler
thats the confusing part - the fstab looks correct here, doesn't it?
but the entry in the GUI is:

/mnt/BIG_POOP/bigshare/nasconfig_bkps/plex /mnt/BIG_POOP/iocage/jails/plex/root/config
/mnt/BIG_POOP/bigshare/

and that's it.
trying to start the jail results in:
Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
plex is not running, starting jail
jail: mount.fstab: /mnt/BIG_POOP/bigshare/: missing information

cdiddy

Dabbler
You can add the entries to the fstab manually by using nano instead of cat. Use tabs and not spaces between entries. Once you have the edits like you think they should be, try starting the jail at cmd line and see what it says. iocage start plex
Does not seem to be working. fstab has the correct entries if I open it with nano or view it with cat, but the GUI will not show them as complete and when I start the jail with from the GUI or the CLI I get the same "missing information" error.

What if you remove everything from the fstab manually and re-add using just the GUI?

cdiddy

Dabbler
oh for crying out loud... it was the # in the directory name.

I had read posts that indicated that spaces in file names were not working in iocage, i guess i'm just the only moron that prefaces directories with non-alphanumeric characters so that they override the alpha sort in the folder structure of graphical OS.

I use an underscore sometimes. Never used the #.

I saw that and thought about it too. If wrap the path in quotes it probably works the # is commonly used to comment lines in Unix machines.