iocage exec/list or jexec/jls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneya

Dabbler
Which one is preferred/more correct to use with 11.2+? Or does it not matter?

I only see references to iocage in the manual, but pretty much every other resource I've seen uses jexec/jls. Thus the confusion.

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
jexec and jls is for the legacy warden jails. If you're using iocage, use iocage.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
jexec and jls are FreeBSD utilities to work with jails. They're not tied to Warden and, as such, will work "normally" with iocage. Doing things behind iocage's back seems like a bad idea, so you might want to consider what is going to happen before pulling the trigger on the base utilities.

I expect iocage list to be more informative than jls.

The native jls/jexec commands only work for jails that are "up". If an iocage jail is stopped, it won't show in jls.

So yes, for iocage jails, you want to use iocage exec and iocage list so that you have visibility of all iocage jails that are out there. It offers some additional advantages, e.g. it will automatically start a jail if needed when you do iocage exec, it will show some properties and metadata that is unknown (irrelevant) to the native jails, etc...

Note that for legacy warden jails, there are the equivalent commands, e.g. warden list, warden start, etc... but almost nobody uses them, because warden is very well integrated in the legacy GUI and the new UI is still playing catch up. ;)

kdragon75

Wizard
iocage console <jail_name> If you need to access a shell in the jail.
Just to toss this in to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.