Introduction and greetings

tbw

Dabbler
Hello everyone, I have a background in computer science and nearly 22 years experience with Linux (started at that time with Mandriva), about 15 years ago started using Ubuntu variants. Despite all this, I am a complete newbie at using and managing NAS systems, RAID, etc (except basic home devices).
Currently, I am responsible to configure/define a novel and relatively small data center and backup for my institution and for our work. After much reading, I understood that OpenZFS offers many advantages, especially with the recent dRAID schemes and that it is completely supported by TrueNAS systems. Since I am more familiar to using Linux, I feel that overall TrueNAS SCALE would be a more appropriate choice.

I would like to have your expert thoughts, suggestions and/or validation on the systems configuration.
In which discussion group should I open a new thread? Under the "TrueNAS SCALE" topic?

Thank you.
Greetings from Portugal!

Nick2253

Wizard
Welcome!

For most questions, "General Help" is the right place to go. Otherwise, for specific questions or issues about TrueNAS SCALE, the SCALE forum is a good place to post those.

Based on the quick summary of your project, I definitely think that ZFS is a good fit, and in my opinion, TrueNAS is the single best way to deploy and manage ZFS storage. So it definitely sounds like you're in the right place.

For a straightforward ZFS implementation, I would recommend CORE. TrueNAS is designed to be an appliance, so you generally don't want to be messing with the internals much. As such, experience with Linux or BSD doesn't really help/hurt you, (outside of comfort with the command line when doing the occasional troubleshooting task).

Personally, like you, I'm most comfortable with Linux, and manage multiple Linux servers for both work and home. However, I've never once run into a problem with TrueNAS where my inexperience with its FreeBSD core has caused problem for me.

Reactions: tbw