Hello from Hamburg, Germany

TrueMuggel

Cadet
Hello everybody,

After my "Fast, Reliable, and Easy-to-Use Network Attached Storage, Perfect for Storing Unstructured Data and Making Backups" got bricked after almost 3 years of operation, I started looking around for alternatives that were more standard.

TrueNAS Core has won the race. Congratulations!

Now I hope for many years of use. I think the conditions are excellent.

I am glad to be part of the community.

Greetings

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Moin! ....a former resident here... and welcome to the forums!

Looks like a great setup there and I hope it behaves better than the Drobo you came from. However, I presume you have snapshots enabled and a backup strategy? :smile:

TrueMuggel

Cadet
Oh yes, some lesson learned...

- Unbreakable is not indestructible
- Lifetime does not mean the duration of my life
- A backup device needs a backup device

Overall, it went relatively smoothly. Most of the data is there. I am still looking for a way to read the Drobo disks. I can read out the Bayond Raid with RAW, but the EXT4 is destroyed. I am looking for a professional to do this. I think I will contact the experts at UFS Explorer.

The TrueNAS is now additionally backed up by a JBOD device.

Thanks for the tip about the snapshots. I'll take a look at that.

TrueMuggel

Cadet
Additionally lesson learned
- Forget "set it up and forget it".

Constantin

Vampire Pig
- A backup device needs a backup device
... preferably off-site. :smile:
The TrueNAS is now additionally backed up by a JBOD device.... Thanks for the tip about the snapshots. I'll take a look at that.
Snapshots are among the best tools against ransomware attacks - just dial the NAS back to before things got wonky.

Arguably, FreeNAS is a more secure platform by default than ReadyNAS/Drobo/Synology/QNAP/etc. because known vulnerabilities like SMB1 NTLM v1 can only be enabled with some work (by default, FreeNAS defaults to SMB2+, which is much more secure). Additionally, known / used attack vectors like uPNP comparatively require a lot of work to get installed in FreeNAS/TrueNAS as UPNP is not available in the default menu sharing / protocol options. Add-ons like uPNP have to be hosted in jails, which is a huge step above what less-professional-grade packages enforce.

I'd also argue that the folk who set up FreeNAS / TrueNAS tend to be more conscious of data security issues (which is why we collectively went with ZFS, right?) than the folk who just needed a local NAS to dump business / personal records onto. Most of us keep our FreeNAS' well-protected from the internet, with no DMZ option, web-hosting, and other vectors that make it much easier for miscreants to reach our servers in the first place.

Last edited:

TrueMuggel

Cadet
... preferably off-site. :smile:
I read it here the second time. Nice idea and I'm going to set it up.
Snapshots are among the best tools against ransomware attacks - just dial the NAS back to before things got wonky.
Ok, good point!
Most of us keep our FreeNAS' well-protected from the internet, with no DMZ option, web-hosting, and other vectors that make it much easier for miscreants to reach our servers in the first place.
Yes, thats the case, but TrueNAS has a lot of features and when things settle down, I'm considering installing TrueNAS on second server as a services server. We will see.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

TrueMuggel

Cadet
Snapshots are among the best tools against ransomware attacks
I have daily snapshots set up. That was easy. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Yeah, I also thought it would be much more complicated than it ended up being. :smile: