Interoperability issue between FreeNAS and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perazim

Cadet
I have the following: Several Linux based NAS with ext2/3/4 filesystems and now a FreeNAS box with zfs. I have a few shell scripts I run that use rsync for backup. After configuring a NFS share on FreeNAS, I need to run these scripts with FreeNAS as the target.

All the rsync commands run on the linux box fail. Specifically the rsync chmod fails with "failed operation - not permitted". I am using the rsync options "-av". So I started dropping the individual options and found that if I ran the command without the ptgoD options that this worked. Problem is that I need these options.

So, my question is: Are there incompatibilities between the linux rsync and the FreeBSD rsync. Maybe it is the underlying filesystems?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, for any insight,

Perazim

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

It's not incompatibilities in rsync as they both run the same program from samba.org.

However, FreeBSD/FreeNAS does not support EXT3 journaling, extended attributes, or inodes greater than 128 bytes. I expect it is the extended attributes that is causing this.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have the following: Several Linux based NAS with ext2/3/4 filesystems and now a FreeNAS box with zfs. I have a few shell scripts I run that use rsync for backup. After configuring a NFS share on FreeNAS, I need to run these scripts with FreeNAS as the target.

All the rsync commands run on the linux box fail. Specifically the rsync chmod fails with "failed operation - not permitted". I am using the rsync options "-av". So I started dropping the individual options and found that if I ran the command without the ptgoD options that this worked. Problem is that I need these options.

So, my question is: Are there incompatibilities between the linux rsync and the FreeBSD rsync. Maybe it is the underlying filesystems?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, for any insight,

Perazim
Hello, @Perazim - welcome to the forums!

I have had success using rsync to transfer files between my FreeNAS and Synology servers (the Synology is based on Linux). There are some minor quirks that may be tripping you up. Here are my two forum threads that go into details:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rmissions-support-for-windows-datasets.43973/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/easy-rsync-task-creation.46373/

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.