SMB + Rsync from QNAP Operation not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor0001

Dabbler
I'm lost, tried over and over but I'm unable to create a dataset with windows permissions and smb share AND to work with rsync from QNAP.

So I create a dataset with permission type set as windows. Created a smb share and checked through windows if it worked. All fine!
However when i run rsync from QNAP it is unable to transfer properly. The shares still work tho.

In the end the result is that the rsync does transfer folders onces(no updates), but once i tries to chgrp or chmod or copy files I'll see this:
May 13 12:53:38 wis rsyncd[37388]: rsync: chgrp "/Laptop Dell E7540" (in Storage) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
Also the rsync action changes the dataset permission type from windows to unix and I'm unable to set this back to windows, no matter what I try. Only way to solve this is to reboot the nas and delete the dataset once it's not busy.

I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)
The QNAP is running elsewhere so ACL and extended attributes are not replicated.

Is this possible at all? If not, what options do I have to make this work? :smile:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you try a Google search for "FreeNAS rsync qnap" ? I found several hits on the topic. If you have tried these guides then report as such. Also list you system hardware for FreeNAS. And you are not using WiFi?
The QNAP is running elsewhere so ACL and extended attributes are not replicated.
What does that mean?

Victor0001

Dabbler
Yes I did Google, but I didn't find any solution.
I'm not sure what hardware would cause this situation. Nope i'm not using WiFi ;-)
Supermicro X11SSM-F
Intel Core i3-6100
16GB Memory
2x8TB and 2 SSD (1 for boot)

QNAP has an option to replicate ACL and extended attributes. Could be useful if its in the same domain and its not.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm lost, tried over and over but I'm unable to create a dataset with windows permissions and smb share AND to work with rsync from QNAP.

So I create a dataset with permission type set as windows. Created a smb share and checked through windows if it worked. All fine!
However when i run rsync from QNAP it is unable to transfer properly. The shares still work tho.
perhaps you need the --no-perms

In the end the result is that the rsync does transfer folders onces(no updates), but once i tries to chgrp or chmod or copy files I'll see this:
May 13 12:53:38 wis rsyncd[37388]: rsync: chgrp "/Laptop Dell E7540" (in Storage) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
chmod is explicitly disallowed on samba shares in freenas (windows permissions).

Also the rsync action changes the dataset permission type from windows to unix and I'm unable to set this back to windows, no matter what I try.
rsync won't change the permissions type.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Also the rsync action changes the dataset permission type from windows to unix and I'm unable to set this back to windows, no matter what I try. Only way to solve this is to reboot the nas and delete the dataset once it's not busy.

I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)

Is this possible at all? If not, what options do I have to make this work? :)
Rsync has quirks when dealing with Windows datasets. It was designed with UNIX systems in mind, so that's not a big surprise. However, there are work-arounds that may get you up and running, see this thread:

"Impaired rsync permissions support for Windows datasets"

I just checked the status of bug report #7713, which deals with this issue and was filed 2 years ago: it seems that the devs are working on a fix in a future 11.x release.

Status
Not open for further replies.