internal copy function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkme

Contributor
what I mean is, if I have an excising volume (data) mounted and in use with FreeNAS and now I create a new volume (newdata), is there a function, like the "import disk" function to copy the existing data from one volume to the other volume (newdata) on FreeNAS without going through the network with a 2nd computer?

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are plenty of such functions, but all would be done at the command line. In addition to the standard Unix commands of cp, mv, and rsync, there's also the Midnight Commander ( mc), which makes it a bit easier.

dirkme

Contributor
yep midnight commander will do, thanks a lot. I guess I become a FreeNAS expert soon ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

dirkme

Contributor
There are plenty of such functions, but all would be done at the command line. In addition to the standard Unix commands of cp, mv, and rsync, there's also the Midnight Commander ( mc), which makes it a bit easier.

OK, seems I can't use my mouse or my F-keys, how do I mark a folder and how to I execute the copy function?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you using the shell through the web GUI? Don't do that. Set up SSH, and connect using an SSH client. See the manual or Fester's Guide for details.

dirkme

Contributor
Are you using the shell through the web GUI? Don't do that. Set up SSH, and connect using an SSH client. See the manual or Fester's Guide for details.

can't login as root, it tells me my password would be wrong, but that is not true, my password is 100% right,

danb35

Hall of Famer
Either use a different user, or make sure "Login as root with password" is checked in the SSH settings on your FreeNAS box.

Edit: Or use public key authentication, in which case it won't ask for a password.

Redcoat

MVP
Is the error message "Wrong passphrase"? If so, you need to use the passphrase you created for the public key - it's not your root password for FreeNAS.

dirkme

Contributor
Either use a different user, or make sure "Login as root with password" is checked in the SSH settings on your FreeNAS box.

Edit: Or use public key authentication, in which case it won't ask for a password.

tried the other user, but couldn't get mc started, chose the login as root version and it is now rocking and rolling thanks a lot again.

dirkme

Contributor

Just a question which I never asked in my many years of Linux (also tried PC PSD/True OS now) if I have an SSH connection from my laptop to freenas - and use MC on Freenas to copy from that freenas station to the same station (local) and my laptop would get disconnected, does mc still continue to copy?

danb35

Hall of Famer
does mc still continue to copy?
Not sure, really. If you want to make sure it will continue, run mc inside a tmux session.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.