Intel Xeon E3-1230V2 vs E3-1230 v3 and Intel-Pentium-G2020-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercing

Cadet
Hi people i working on my first NAS i been reading all i can do from this forum but i have a couple of questions

Now i waiting for my motherboard (Supermicro X9SCM-F-O) and ecc ram ( Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 ECC Reg CL11 DIMM SR x4 ) they arribe next week

But may be the CPU take a month to arribe..... then.

I can build the NAS with a Celeron G1610 and change (next month) for a Xeon E3-1230v2 ....?
This change can significate any problem to my system.... had to install and configure again....?

I compare two set up..... the temporal
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G2020-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610
These are the cpu can i buy in my country (Uruguay Luis Suarez country)

and the definitive ....
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230V2-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v3

I cant see a big diference between the Xeon cpu's only 25 buks and one function.... can you sugest me one.... and why....

Thanks for all and sorry about my english....

1408372033487.gif

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You do wonderful things with that hoola-hoop!

Err.. back on topic. The X9SCM-F doesn't support the E3-XXXXv3 CPUs. So give up that pipe dream. If you want v3 you gotta go with the X10 boards. So I think that narrows down your options. ;)

I don't recommend any CPUs below the G2020. The G2020 is, in my opinion, the bottom of the barrel. No AES-NI, can handle the default lz4 compression well enough for it not to be a bottleneck, and can do some basic jail work. If you want high compression, jails for things like Plex with transcoding, or plan to use encryption, then you are now into the Xeon territory.

piercing

Cadet
Thanks dude.... but with the E3-XXXXv2 is fine....

Yeah... i going to the Xeon but i want to test my build and configure with the G2020 (cyberjock approval).
When the Xeon arribe and i change the cpu ... the system can be the same or i have to install all again...?
The cpu upgrade can make my system unestable....?
Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've got an X9SCM-F and E3-1230v2 and I love it. No complaints except it's limited to 32GB of RAM. ;)

piercing

Cadet
yeah... i take the sugestion from your guide !!!

Nobody know about the cpu change.... and how can react the system....?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It'll "just work". Don't need to do anything special. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Nobody know about the cpu change.... and how can react the system....?

One of the nice things about FreeBSD is that it isn't Windows (or Linux for that matter). A CPU swap is pretty much a total nonevent. Your system will just be faster. Be sure to take care to clean your heatsink and reapply new thermal paste properly

piercing

Cadet
I really apreciate your help....
Thanks for save the newbie ...

When my hardware arribe i came back for more answers....

hula-hoop-butt.gif

camilo suarez

Explorer
One of the nice things about FreeBSD is that it isn't Windows (or Linux for that matter). A CPU swap is pretty much a total nonevent. Your system will just be faster. Be sure to take care to clean your heatsink and reapply new thermal paste properly

well in windows a cpu change is nonevent too

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@camilo suarez: OEM activation could get screwed ^^

Sent from my Motorola Photon Q

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.