Intel Optane as SLOG for SSD ZFS Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebeta

Dabbler
Hi friends,

I'm new in the community and with TrueNas too.

At the moment I want to build a storage server and I had been reading some blog posts of other friends telling their experience and so on, but I would like to clarify something that may be very simple.

I have in mind to create a ZFS storage pool using 8 x 3.84TB SAS 12Gbps 2.5 Solid State Drive and I would like to add a SLOG Device Intel OptaneSSD 905P Series 280GB, to increase security to Data Writes and increase the performance.

Now my doubt is, if my ZFS Pool is already SSD, the Intel Optane would really increase the performance? or I should not take it as a performance enhancer but just as security for my data?

Thanks in advance

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
As @jgreco is fond of saying, an SLOG is not a write cache. You'll likely not see any performance gain.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SLOG is not a performance enhancer.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/

If you are doing something like databases or VM's where the filer vanishes and takes some committed transactions with it, while leaving a hypervisor running, then you should have sync writes enabled. Sync writes are notoriously slow on ZFS, so there is a mechanism to speed that up, which is SLOG. However, this is NEVER faster than just turning off sync writes and letting the pool do its thing normally.

ZFS async writes are *always* faster than SLOG writes because ZFS uses your system memory for its write cache, and it can allocate many gigabytes for the purpose. This means that we are comparing fast writes to RAM (async) to slow writes to Optane (SLOG). And of course this is where someone chimes in with "but Optane is so fast", but it ain't nothin' compared to DRAM.

So if you need sync writes, the pool drives on their own MIGHT be fast enough to support ZIL-in-pool, you can always try it and see if it's fine for you. If not, then you can always add a SLOG device.

But give careful consideration to whether you need any of this at all.

alebeta

Dabbler
Hi @Samuel Tai @jgreco

thanks for the comments, and yes I'm writing here because I want to understand if the SLOG is needed at all or not in my use case.

This storage server will be serving as Data Store for Virtual Machines disks.

I guess what you said

If you are doing something like databases or VM's where the filer vanishes and takes some committed transactions with it, while leaving a hypervisor running, then you should have sync writes enabled. Sync writes are notoriously slow on ZFS, so there is a mechanism to speed that up, which is SLOG. However, this is NEVER faster than just turning off sync writes and letting the pool do its thing normally.

is my case, and then I should enable sync writes. is that right?

thanks a lot

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Perhaps. If you are already using SSD for the pool and you set your disks up as mirrors (you almost certainly do NOT want RAIDZ), you may still get very acceptable -- not lightning-fast -- performance without a SLOG.

Make sure you review

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

before setting up a pool for VM storage.

I've been encouraging people to try "without" SLOG in recent years simply because people tend to get hung up on the issue and spend lots of wasted money. If in-pool ZIL is too slow, then, yes, you've discovered you need SLOG, and Optane is probably the way to go there.

alebeta

Dabbler
Thanks @jgreco

thanks, that's what I wanted to hear about if the SLOG device is a performance solution or not.
On the other hand, it seems to be a good option to protect data writes in case of a failure, for VM Storage it would make sense?

Regarding the RAID-Z honestly, I was thinking to go to Raid-z3 so I can have more space, mirroring I will end up with half the space of usable capacity.

I will give a read to the link you reffer

thanks a lot

alebeta

Dabbler
And just to give a little bit more information. I have in mind to use iSCSI to connect the storage to the hypervisor cluster. But am just in the planning phase, it can change of course and I see there are many things to take into consideration

Samuel Tai

You definitely don't want RAIDZx as a backing store for VMs, as you won't get the IOPS you'll need. Mirrors are the appropriate architecture in this case.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You definitely don't want RAIDZx as a backing store for VMs, as you won't get the IOPS you'll need
Absolutely true for HDD pools... not so sure that's the case here with an all-flash pool.

If the IOPS of one SSD would be sufficient for the VMs (possibly true with an SSD offerring 100K+ IOPS), then the capacity/cost argument would drive somebody to go toward RAIDZ. (of course understanding that the price tradeoff is at the expense of IOPS they could be getting from their hardware if using mirrors, giving up some capacity)

The question really is, "what's the requirement for IOPS on the VMs from the hypervisor?"... and "how many VDEVs do I need to provide that many IOPS?". If the answer is 1, then RAIDZ is possibly good.

Samuel Tai

@sretalla, you have to account for the worst-case scenario, where the SSD is constantly garbage collecting. A wide mirror pool will do better in this case.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
you have to account for the worst-case scenario, where the SSD is constantly garbage collecting. A wide mirror pool will do better in this case.
Fair point.

Maybe turning off TRIM could mitigate that, but would bring other issues... anyway, just to say that the same problems for HDDs may not apply to an all-SSD pool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Absolutely true for HDD pools... not so sure that's the case here with an all-flash pool.

If the IOPS of one SSD would be sufficient for the VMs (possibly true with an SSD offerring 100K+ IOPS), then the capacity/cost argument would drive somebody to go toward RAIDZ. (of course understanding that the price tradeoff is at the expense of IOPS they could be getting from their hardware if using mirrors, giving up some capacity)

The question really is, "what's the requirement for IOPS on the VMs from the hypervisor?"... and "how many VDEVs do I need to provide that many IOPS?". If the answer is 1, then RAIDZ is possibly good.

The problem with RAIDZ isn't just IOPS, it is space allocation. The manner in which space is allocated on RAIDZ is ... um, well, optimized for sequential file data. If you pick the wrong design, which is, as far as I can tell, MOST of them, you end up with space inefficiencies burning up lots of space.

This is especially hurty when you use a larger ashift (such as the 12 which IIRC is current default) because the recordsize or volblocksize tends not to fit efficiently into the allocations, and there are just some really weird interactions that make my head hurt.

If we approach this from one of ZFS's classic examples of space amplification: if you have an ashift=12 (4K sector size) and you're using a volblocksize of 4K, if you do RAIDZ3, you need three parity blocks to protect that one 4K "volblock", and end up using 16K of space (one data, three parity).

But wait! It's even better. With RAIDZ, ZFS always allocates an even number of blocks, adding "padding" blocks to make sure that a block contains an even number, so you can also create pathological conditions where space is wasted on RAIDZ with small record/volblocksize on RAIDZ2 as well.

Now, you can INCREASE the record/volblocksize, and these problems are reduced, absolutely true. But this increases write amplification to an SSD, because you're writing unchanged stuff back out to the SSD.

Reducing to ashift=9 reduces the scope of the allocation inefficiency but creates other problems. Using mirrors makes it possible to use ashift=12 AND a volblocksize=4K and it all works optimally. Your only real chance with ashift=12 RAIDZ is to design your pool with a moderate volblocksize that is designed to cooperate with the RAIDZ structure to deliver optimal efficiency; I leave this as an exercise for the reader.

Basically the contortions here make my brain hurt so I don't like thinking of this and now my head hurts and now I hate you all. :smile:

sretalla