SOLVED Intel 520 10-Gig and usupported SFP+ TrueNAS scale howto fix.

derlinus

Dabbler
Just wanted to share what cost me half a day to figure out:

If you're having an intel 520 10-Gig and usupported SFP+ struggling to get a link up do this:
  • SSH into your TrueNAS
  • enter the following command:
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1"}'

Then, having the SFP+ module installed and connected to a switch or another 10G port, reboot.

Now the interface should show up and be configurable in TrueNAS UI.

I didn't want to buy Intel's modules at a premium and simply used the Finisar's I have (FTLX8571D3BCV)
Works like a charm.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I didn't want to buy Intel's modules at a premium
Compatible modules from fs.com, brand new, are US$20 each (or 20,00€). Used modules are often available for a good bit less on eBay. Nothing necessarily wrong with this driver hack, but there are other options.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The driver rejected those transceivers? That's a new one, they're the same that Intel sells.

derlinus

Dabbler
The driver rejected those transceivers? That's a new one, they're the same that Intel sells.
Nope Intel has their special edition and yes, the driver litterally printed a message like "unsupported SFP" bla and refused to load!!! Saw that in dmesg... Not unusual behavior by Corporations like Intel. Thankfully this simple fix does the trick...