intel 14900K with Asus ROG strix Z790-E installation blank screen

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
Hello guys and thank you for your time. As the title says, I bought the newest generation intel processor and it will not allow me to instal (blank screen). Can someone tell me what the latest intel processor that will work with Truenas Core and specific motherboard recommendations? If a list of approved processors is available, that would be good too. Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
Hello and thanks for your reply. Very kind of you.

Would intel 12900K + ASUS ROG Strix Z790-ATX + NY Quadro P5000 16GB work on freeBSD TrueNas Core?

I bought a dedicated GPU because i read that plex dropped support for intel iGPU.

Any further guidance is much appreciated, i have been working on this build for months struggling with a W200 Thermaltake that is driving me nuts.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think you read the document, because your proposed hardware ticks all sorts of boxes that it shouldn't.

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
I don't think you read the document, because your proposed hardware ticks all sorts of boxes that it shouldn't.
Eric, I might just be really stupid because not only did I read the document you sent me, I printed it out and read the CPU selection section 3-4 times.

Let me give you a quick idea of what I am trying to do.

I want to run a Plex Server on BSD flavor of Linux with RAID 6 using Truenas Core. This PC will be dedicated to Plex only and will need to transcode native 4K movies, multiple of them.

I can see by the document that you sent me that getting a gaming motherboard was a stupid idea but luckily I am still within the return period.

I need the motherboard to have 4 PCI slots:
1- LSI 9305 i24
2- PNY Quadro P5000 Graphics Card
3- Ethernet converged network adapter
4- An extra slot for a future expansion card.

As I read in the document, they recommend RED PRO up until 16 TB. I have fourteen 20 TB RED PRO's, which is something I can't change. I am going to be slowly adding more. My W200 Thermaltake is set up to contain 64 HDD with 34 fans for optimal ventilation.

As for the CPU, I read that Plex has dropped quick sync support which is why I bought the Quadro graphics card.

My budget for the CPU + Motherboard is about $1000, but I can be convinced to spend a bit more if necessary. The document you sent me makes reference to the importance of ECC RAM when using ZFS, server motherboards, etc but does not give you a clear idea of what CPU is compatible with Truenas.

I would simply like to get an intel CPU that is compatible with what I am trying to do and won't bottleneck the system, and a motherboard that can handle 4 PCI slots and also won't cause issues.

Please help me, I looked at the server motherboard on the document you sent me but it only has 3 PCI slots.

chuck32

Guru
Eric, I might just be really stupid because not only did I read the document you sent me, I printed it out and read the CPU selection section 3-4 times.
But you came up with a consumer CPU and a gaming mainboard that not support ECC memory.

Can you clarify that you read the correct document?
1708021683408.png

As I read in the document, they recommend RED PRO up until 16 TB. I have fourteen 20 TB RED PRO's, which is something I can't change.
I do not see that in the linked guide. Don't sweat it, the 20 TB variant will also be okay (unless there's something very specific with WD above 16 TB, which I haven't stumbled upon yet). Opinions on drives vary anyway.

The document you sent me makes reference to the importance of ECC RAM when using ZFS, server motherboards, etc but does not give you a clear idea of what CPU is compatible with Truenas.
Again, what did you read? The document clearly lays out a bunch of different CPUs and also recommends more than one mainboard
Please help me, I looked at the server motherboard on the document you sent me but it only has 3 PCI slots.
Plex and transcoding is not my thing so I cant recommend anything there.

My budget for the CPU + Motherboard is about $1000,
Does this include memory?

Etorix

Wizard
Would intel 12900K + ASUS ROG Strix Z790-ATX + NY Quadro P5000 16GB work on freeBSD TrueNas Core?
Same as the i9-14900K: Not optimally.
FreeBSD and CORE do not have a suitable scheduler for the hybrid architecture in Alder Lake and later. (SCALE should have one; how good it is is another question.)
Gamer motherboard, and no ECC support. Not the most appropriate choice for a server.

Unless you plan to host A LOT of apps and/or CPU-intensive VMs, the CPU is a massive overkill. And anyway the platform is poorly suited if you need four x8 PCIe slots (or wider).
A NAS does not need latest generation CPU. For your budget, and with potentially 64 large drives, look into second-hand Xeon Scalable (1st/2nd gen.) or EPYC for the PCIe lanes and the abiiity to use a large amount of cheap RDIMM. You should also read about SAS expanders before piling up -24i HBAs.

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
But you came up with a consumer CPU and a gaming mainboard that not support ECC memory.

View attachment 75710

I do not see that in the linked guide. Don't sweat it, the 20 TB variant will also be okay (unless there's something very specific with WD above 16 TB, which I haven't stumbled upon yet). Opinions on drives vary anyway.

Again, what did you read? The document clearly lays out a bunch of different CPUs and also recommends more than one mainboard

No the

View attachment 75710

Hello and thanks for your reply. The consumer CPU and the gaming motherboard was chosen by a friend of mine with 20 years of IT experience but not a lot of experience with our current project. It was chosen before I read the document.

View attachment 75710

Hello and thanks for your reply. The consumer CPU and the gaming motherboard was chosen by a friend of mine with 20 years of IT experience but not a lot of experience with our current project. It was chosen before I read the document.

View attachment 75710

Hello and thank you for your reply. The CPU and gaming motherboard was chosen by a friend of mine with 20 years of IT experience before either one of us read the document.

No, the $1000 budget is for the CPU + MB.

From other posts that I have scavenged, the optimal MB for Truenas Core is a Supermicro MB. The question is, which one. I only saw reference to one MB on the document, and it had 3 PCI slots.

Thanks again for your reply.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
We are talking about a pretty beefy system here, at least for something self-built. So it would certainly help to know what you want to use it for.

Also, there are some open questions for me. With this number of HDDs, you normally have a server case with a backplane that contains a SAS-expander. It his highly unusual to connect so many HDDs directly to an HBA. First, the cabling is a mess; second they never need the bandwidth.

As to getting help from others: It is great that have someone to turn to who has 20 years of IT experience. But it also should be experience in the relevant field. As an example, I would be totally useless for gaming stuff or Cobol on a mainframe. But I know a few things about storage, backup, EAI / integration, CI/CD, SDLC, and other areas.

What is an Ethernet converged network adapter?

BTW: Thanks for this interesting discussion

Etorix

Wizard
Optimal motherboards are server motherboards. Supermicro has a very comprehensive range, but there are other manufacturers. Asrock Rack increasingly does interesting motherboards. Gigabyte and Asus have server divisions.
Supermicro is a good starting point, but not the only option.

For what I see, the best option would have been a complete storage server, refurbished, instead of that Thermaltake monster.
I suppose that your woes were about installing extra trays/dividers and fans—34 of them, really? o_O

I want to run a Plex Server on BSD flavor of Linux with RAID 6 using Truenas Core.
Hm! BSD is NOT Linux, and there's no "RAID6" with ZFS. The equivalent would be raidz2, which is reasonably suited to hosting large video files. But your initial set of 14 drives would call for two 7-wide vdevs, which does not divide 64 (tough introducing hot spares could be a good idea at some point).
This PC will be dedicated to Plex only and will need to transcode native 4K movies, multiple of them.
How many simultaneous transcodes?

I can see by the document that you sent me that getting a gaming motherboard was a stupid idea but luckily I am still within the return period.
Then return it, or make it your desktop.

I need the motherboard to have 4 PCI slots:
1- LSI 9305 i24
2- PNY Quadro P5000 Graphics Card
3- Ethernet converged network adapter
4- An extra slot for a future expansion card.
1 is x8. With expanders it could drive the entire set of 64 HDDs.
2 is x16 (but could probably do with x8 electrical).
3: Let's assume x8.
4: Nice to have, but might not even be needed.
So, at least three x8 slots (or wider), one of which being open or mechanically x16.
In practice, x16 +2*8 will do, and just about any server board with C621 (or C622) chipset meets the requirements (save the odd mini-ITX board).

My budget for the CPU + Motherboard is about $1000, but I can be convinced to spend a bit more if necessary. The document you sent me makes reference to the importance of ECC RAM when using ZFS, server motherboards, etc but does not give you a clear idea of what CPU is compatible with Truenas.
That's because basically all Intel CPUs are compatible—or were, before Alder Lake. For ECC, look at Xeon (some Core can do ECC, but you're outside of their league).

garm

Wizard
I bought a dedicated GPU because i read that plex dropped support for intel iGPU.
I would love to read that article, all I can find is that ist a requirement https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Also https://github.com/kern2011/Freenas-Quicksync

PNY Quadro P5000 Graphics Card
I don't think Core will even recognize that card, I would be interested to see the dmesg print

Plex Server on BSD flavor of Linux with RAID 6 using Truenas Core.
o_Oo_Oo_O
it will not allow me to instal (blank screen).
when? does it post?

Define "work"... that mobo has lots of features that in best case wont crash your system..

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
Optimal motherboards are server motherboards. Supermicro has a very comprehensive range, but there are other manufacturers. Asrock Rack increasingly does interesting motherboards. Gigabyte and Asus have server divisions.
Supermicro is a good starting point, but not the only option.

For what I see, the best option would have been a complete storage server, refurbished, instead of that Thermaltake monster.
I suppose that your woes were about installing extra trays/dividers and fans—34 of them, really? o_O

Hm! BSD is NOT Linux, and there's no "RAID6" with ZFS. The equivalent would be raidz2, which is reasonably suited to hosting large video files. But your initial set of 14 drives would call for two 7-wide vdevs, which does not divide 64 (tough introducing hot spares could be a good idea at some point).

How many simultaneous transcodes?

Then return it, or make it your desktop.

1 is x8. With expanders it could drive the entire set of 64 HDDs.
2 is x16 (but could probably do with x8 electrical).
3: Let's assume x8.
4: Nice to have, but might not even be needed.
So, at least three x8 slots (or wider), one of which being open or mechanically x16.
In practice, x16 +2*8 will do, and just about any server board with C621 (or C622) chipset meets the requirements (save the odd mini-ITX board).

That's because basically all Intel CPUs are compatible—or were, before Alder Lake. For ECC, look at Xeon (some Core can do ECC, but you're outside of their league).
I honestly don't know how to thank you for such a comprehensive response. Very much appreciated.

Will this motherboard work well? It's within my budget, it has the C621 you mentioned. It says it needs either Intel Xeon Scalable Processors, or Intel Xeon W-32xx Processor. It mentions RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 on amazon but no mention of RAID 6. I want to do RAID 6 for double parity. Could you recommend a specific processor, and tell me if C621 can do RAID 6? I am way out of my depth here.

SuperMicro X11SPA-T Motherboard ($771)​

Strawhat1491

Dabbler

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It mentions RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 on amazon but no mention of RAID 6. I want to do RAID 6 for double parity. Could you recommend a specific processor, and tell me if C621 can do RAID 6? I am way out of my depth here.
You should really read up on ZFS. RAID is provided by hardware controllers and is at odds with ZFS and by that TrueNAS. ZFS provides equivalent protection, but it has different names. In a nutshell it is not dependent on a particular CPU, other than perhaps speed, and also not particular hardware. Grasping what ZFS does is crucial to getting proper results and by that safety for your data.

chuck32

Guru
. It mentions RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 on amazon but no mention of RAID 6. I want to do RAID 6 for double parity. Could you recommend a specific processor, and tell me if C621 can do RAID 6? I am way out of my depth here.

Have a look at the ZFS primer. The CPU does not need to support raid, true as uses software raid.

My advice, before spending over a grand in hardware with regards to building a truenas machine, do some further research about truenas. Not that server grade hardware is a bad thing, for other operating systems.

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
You should really read up on ZFS. RAID is provided by hardware controllers and is at odds with ZFS and by that TrueNAS. ZFS provides equivalent protection, but it has different names. In a nutshell it is not dependent on a particular CPU, other than perhaps speed, and also not particular hardware. Grasping what ZFS does is crucial to getting proper results and by that safety for your data.
Can you tell me if this would work:

Software:
-Linux FreeBSD
-TrueNas (Core or SCALE, don't know which to choose)
-RaidZ2
-Plex dedicated machine. I have no other interest for this project than for myself and family to be able to stream and do simultaneous 4K Hardware transcodes.

Hardware:
-SuperMicro X11SPA-T Motherboard
-Intel Xeon Gold 6138 Processor 27.5M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 20 Core (is this processor compatible with the motherboard?)
-PNY Quadro P5000 16GB Video Card
-Crucial T500 500GB Gen4 NVMe M.2
-LSI 9305 24i

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
Have a look at the ZFS primer. The CPU does not need to support raid, true as uses software raid.

My advice, before spending over a grand in hardware with regards to building a truenas machine, do some further research about truenas. Not that server grade hardware is a bad thing, for other operating systems.
Can you tell me if this would work:

Software:
-Linux FreeBSD
-RaidZ2
-Plex dedicated machine. I have no other interest for this project than for myself and family to be able to stream and do simultaneous 4K Hardware transcodes.

Hardware:
-Intel Xeon Gold 6138 Processor 27.5M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 20 Core (is this processor compatible with the motherboard?)
-LSI 9305 24i

Strawhat1491

Dabbler

View attachment 75710

Any problems with this setup in your opinion? Thank you again.

Software:
-Linux FreeBSD
-RaidZ2

Hardware:
-LSI 9305 24i

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Sorry for being so blunt: You really need to do some reading. If your expectation is, possibly fueled by some of the many shitty YouTube videos on TrueNAS, that you can more or less just install it and be happy, my view is that you have been misled.

TrueNAS is enterprise-grade software. So you need to schedule a lot of time to learn. To put things into perspective: When I built my current NAS about 3.5 years ago, I spent about 3 months to devise the final specs. And that was on top of 10 years of experience running ZFS-based systems and more than 25 years of servers in general.

ZFS was developed for high-end storage systems (at least[!] a 6-digits-amounts of money). With that comes complexity and many aspects that are unknown to many people, even if they have 20+ years of experience with e.g. Windows Server in a professional context. You need to be willing to invest time. That is the deal: you get something that would otherwise cost 100k+ Dollars. But you must learn stuff before. If you don't want to do that, you will be better off with e.g. Synology, QNAP, unRAID, OMV, plain Linux etc.

Strawhat1491

Dabbler
Sorry for being so blunt: You really need to do some reading. If your expectation is, possibly fueled by some of the many shitty YouTube videos on TrueNAS, that you can more or less just install it and be happy, my view is that you have been misled.

TrueNAS is enterprise-grade software. So you need to schedule a lot of time to learn. To put things into perspective: When I built my current NAS about 3.5 years ago, I spent about 3 months to devise the final specs. And that was on top of 10 years of experience running ZFS-based systems and more than 25 years of servers in general.

ZFS was developed for high-end storage systems (at least[!] a 6-digits-amounts of money). With that comes complexity and many aspects that are unknown to many people, even if they have 20+ years of experience with e.g. Windows Server in a professional context. You need to be willing to invest time. That is the deal: you get something that would otherwise cost 100k+ Dollars. But you must learn stuff before. If you don't want to do that, you will be better off with e.g. Synology, QNAP, unRAID, OMV, plain Linux etc.
What you're saying sounds reasonable.

Since all I want is a Plex dedicated machine with 4K transcoding, and a storage system such as RAID6, what OS would you recommend I install to keep things as simple and smooth as possible? Thanks again.