Intel 1219-V (ethernet) not working on new mobo (FreeNAS 11.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneness

Cadet
Hi, I'm trying FreeNAS 11.1 on a new bit of kit, ASRock 360M Pro4.
According to this thread and bug: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/support-for-i219-v.41608/
This support was merged back in 9.x days. but dmesg shows me
"pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 31.6 (no driver attached)"
Brand new 11.1 install. Shasum checked out before dd to usb.
Additionally, it also says "pmc: Unknown Intel CPU.". I deliberately didnt get a Ryzen G CPU but instead I got an 8th gen i3 to try and avoid this. but I guess I didn't do my homework well enough in either case.

Is there a way I can get this ethernet support added at the very least? Or will a nightly build work? (not that I can find any).

Ethernet works fine on a Tails liveUSB (so I know it's not faulty).

Last edited:

oneness

Cadet
It's worth trying on a nightly as that will be the next version in a few weeks. Downloads are here: http://download.freenas.org/11.2/MASTER/. Let us know if that doesn't recognize it.
Thanks for the link.
I tried the early May build before I realised it's oldest first in the directory structure, but then even with the latest 20180531 build i get the same thing but with a bit more ouput from DMESG (I don't know if it's all relevant but included anyway):

# dmesg | grep eth:
Code:
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \134_SB.PCI0.RP04.PXSX, AE_NOT_FOUND (20171214/psparse-667)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \134_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX, AE_NOT_FOUND (20171214/psparse-667)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \134_SB.PCI0.RP012.PXSX, AE_NOT_FOUND (20171214/psparse-667)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \134CNDP, AE_NOT_FOUND (20171214/psparse-667)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \134, AE_NOT_FOUND (20171214/psparse-667)
pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 31.6 (no driver attached)

#ifconfig just shows the loopback device lo0

My Linux knowledge is better than BSD, but if there's something else I can check, print, post I'm happy to oblige. Should I open a bug report?

Also, #uname shows it's running the 11.1-STABLE kernel

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

In that case, it is worth reporting. You'll need to attach a debug to the ticket (which will hide it). Use the one created while booted into the May build.

Brdl84

Cadet
Hi, I hope to hear if you solved this issue because I'm experiencing the same thing on a brand new build. Gigabyte H310m a with 8th gen Intel i5. I have the same message on screen "pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 31.6 (no driver attached)" and loopback device lo0

Redcoat

MVP
Yours is likely a different issue - you have a Realtek LAN chip, not Intel as the OP's system. Realtek has not supported FreeBSD drivers.

Brdl84

Cadet
Yours is likely a different issue - you have a Realtek LAN chip, not Intel as the OP's system. Realtek has not supported FreeBSD drivers.
This one is equipped with Intel GbE, the supplied installation disk includes the intel driver for windows (which works, i test on windows) and for FreeBsd.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, that's interesting - the Gigabyte website spec says Realtek. Have you tried FreeBSD? Would be good info should you have to file a ticket.

nikkon

Contributor
I can report the same issue @oneness has.
Fortunately for me I have 2 interfaces & the second works.

Brdl84

Cadet
Sorry looks like the "a" is easy to miss on my message, the board is gigabyte H310M A. The driver software is under the category of Network/Intel/PRO1000 . I'm decent with making computers work by following others instructions, but its not my background, FreeBSD looks intimidating to me, I was hoping for a more simple download to follow. I'll probably try the 11.2 version as mentioned above. Just wondering if the OP had any success.

nikkon

Contributor

Brdl84

Cadet
yeah i have the files em-7.74.tar-gz and igb-2.5.6.tar.gz
I just don't know how to make this work. I installed the latest version of 11.2 using the latest ISO from the link above. this version has the same issue, but the menu does include a loader prompt. Maybe this can be used?

oneness

Cadet
Hi everyone.
I went away so didn't get a chance to debug this much more. Funnily enough my old Apple usb 10/100 Ethernet dongle worked fine so for now while I configure everything, I'm just using that.
I plan to make a bug report, but even with the latest June nightlies it's still not detecting the Intel chip. I'd prefer not spending $50 on an older Intel NIC so I'll continue to play and update if make any progress.

nikkon

Contributor
I'm looking forward to your progress update on this matter

Greaper187

Cadet
Any Updates on this? My MoBo failed and this is the replacement. Need to get my NAS back up and running. Any help would be appreciated

Brdl84

Cadet
I ended up buying a cheap random $12 dollar card from microcenter for the pci express slot, worked right away. Hopefully an update will allow the built in i219-v to work. And I know that it works because I installed Windows at first which ran it no problem, but Windows also allowed me to install the driver.

Greaper187

Cadet
Which card did you buy? I'll go that route until this is fixed. I tried to compile the em driver with FreeBSD and cp it over, still couldn't get it to load.

Greaper187

Cadet
Worked great that you. Hopefully we can get a bug number and a future fix. If I need to file a bug, let me know.

Greaper187

Cadet
Any updates on this? I also think this is stopping my VMs from starting. Keep getting a "vm_create: Device not configured" error when trying to start them.

Status
Not open for further replies.