Installing Plugins Kills WebUI, Can't Recover until I Wipe Jails DataSet

Status
Not open for further replies.

umhelp

Cadet
I have been running FreeNAS 9.3.1 (from Jan 2016) until now and someone gave me the crazy idea to upgrade to the latest 9.10 (June 07). I followed all the direction given to clear all my previous Jails in preparation for the new Jail Templates. Then I did the update and everything seemed to work smoothly, all my shares, iSCSI, network settings seemed to transition to 9.10. At this point everything looked great in 9.10 so I decided to reinstall the plugins I use on a regular basis (Plex, Owncloud, and Sab). I went through the GUI and installed Plex first and right after it finished installing the webui stopped responding and eventually displayed: "Sorry, an error occurred". I can ping FreeNAS and using nmap/netstat it looks like ports 80 and 443 are still open. I rebooted the nas multiple times and it comes back in the same broken state. I deleted the jails dataset, rebooted and the webui came back, everything was happy again.

I tried rolling back to 9.3, wiping the jails dataset again to reinstall the plugins and unfortunately that didn't work either. I tried an earlier saved configuration but no luck either same issue. So now i'm kind of to the point where i might need to restart from scratch. I'd appreciate any ideas! Resetting up all my iSCSI and shares would be painful :(

I looked through various logs in /var/logs didn't see anything jump out at me. I tried my jails with DHCP and a static IP. There really doesn't seem to be much more config items I can easily access through the webui. I can try some manual changes if anyone has any suggestions. When I shell into a jail i can ping my network.

My network is a bit complex: I have a 4 port LAGG (LACP) with 2 VLANs for multipath EXSI iSCSI mappings and a separate user vlans. I tried redoing all the network setting from scratch in 9.10 I didn't seem to get any different results. I tried DHCP and static IP for my user vlan no difference. I've never really had any issues with the complicated network config I set it up and it just seemed to work. Unfortunately, it would be a substantial effort to reconfigure the network to not use a LAGG and VLANs to eliminate those variables.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

System:
SuperMicro X8DTN+
72gb ECC RAM
IBM ServeRAID M1015
4x4tb HGST NAS drives
2x2tb WD Red NAS drives
120gig Intel x530 SSD for OS.

umhelp

Cadet
My FreeNAS webui uses a static DHCP lease at .200 and I was setting my Jail to start at .2 which is outside of my dhcp range. I also tried setting my Jails to use DHCP which gave it a .138 address. So unless I'm missing something I don't if there was an IP conflict. I will double check just to make sure though. I will also double check to make sure there is no MAC conflicts. My Jail did have different MAC than my VLANs. Thanks!

UPDATE: My MAC addresses are different between FreeNAS interface and my Jail. My IP addresses are also different and I can ping FreeNAS from inside the Jail and vise-versa. Both interfaces can ping my gateway and www.google.com as well.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

There was an issue with duplicate MAC addresses, but that is not what is biting you. I suspect something in the plugins/jails code does not like the VLANs....

umhelp

Cadet
There was an issue with duplicate MAC addresses, but that is not what is biting you. I suspect something in the plugins/jails code does not like the VLANs....

Yesterday, I tried installing 9.10 from scratch with a from scratch config and ran into the same issue. After that I installed 9.3 from February 2016 and uploaded my old saved config. Installed plugins and everything worked like a champ.

So I would tend to agree there is something with VLANs and LAGGs. I have an Extreme Networks x440-24p switch configured for an LACP LAGG. The switch seems to have real LACP support and the ports are configured as such. I don't think it's a low end switch by any means.

If anyone has any suggestions for me to try I can try gathering some info to write up a trouble ticket maybe. I just hate writing up bugs without any information provided there's a bug.

maglin

Patron
LACP I believe has changed in FreeBSD 10. Could be the problem right there. Don't see how running the NAS with a single NIC is complex. Just move to an unused port on the switch and add it to the vLan you want the NAS on.

Or better yet just use 9.3.1 until you are ready to dive into and do some more trouble shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umhelp

Cadet
LACP I believe has changed in FreeBSD 10. Could be the problem right there. Don't see how running the NAS with a single NIC is complex. Just move to an unused port on the switch and add it to the vLan you want the NAS on.

Or better yet just use 9.3.1 until you are ready to dive into and do some more trouble shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is something related to either LACP or VLANs but it seems odd that everything works great until I add a plugin. Possibly because adding the plugin requires adding a bridge device on top of all the complex networking underneath it??

It's a bit more than switching one cable and changing a switch port but I could do it. I'm just lazy but maybe this weekend I can bring everything down again to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.