installing package on freenas - out of space??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepo

Dabbler
OK new guy here - freenas kicks ass its the best!!!

ok so im using 8.0.1 release running on a 4gb disk on esxi5.
install goes great im using zfs disk with cifs,nfs and iscsi with no issues.

i want to install vmware tools on the vm so i can use multiple cpus as well as the better network cards in vmware.

i try to install the prereq from this post:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2326

pkg_add -v -r compat6x-amd64

but it tries to install and gets an out of space error in lib and lib32

so my questions are:
1. is there any way to extend these mounts with a default installer?
2. is there any way to install freebsd, set the mounts to whatever, then install freenas on top?

thanks all

ProtoSD

MVP
1. is there any way to extend these mounts with a default installer?
No

2. is there any way to install freebsd, set the mounts to whatever, then install freenas on top?

No

Check the FAQ in my signature. There is another possibility, a new feature that I haven't tested and I don't know if it'll do what you need. If you create a UFS volume, you can assign /var to that. It's discussed here in the forums somewhere, not sure if the documentation has been updated. Hope that helps!

Pepo

Dabbler
Thanks for the info but didnt see any info in your FAQ. what number would i use?
so basically create a second disk, the set up as a UFS volume, then somehow copy the /var mount to it?

Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry, the FAQ reference was more for background on why you can't install packages to your flash drive, expanding etc.

The release notes for 8.01 RC1 say this:

- UFS volumes support setting arbitrary mount points, this can be leveraged to move /var to a persistent storage device.

Like I said, I haven't tested it, so I don't know details, but I thought it could be an option for you. You'd still need to remount your flash drive temporarily read-write (mount -uw /) during your install. You wouldn't copy /var to the new mountpoint, you'd need to create a link using 'ln', but I'm not sure if /var is the partition you want to link to.

Maybe someone else here can give you more specific pointers, I was just trying to get you pointed in the right direction.

Pepo

Dabbler
Thanks for the info ProtoSD. im a windows guy so i would really need the line by line process for this if it does work.

Anyone have any ideas? im sure someone has tried this before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.