Installing 8.0.1-REL on Intel SS4200e

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyondbuxton

Cadet
Installing 8.0.1-REL on Intel SS4200e - RESOLVED

Hello,

Very glad to see 8.0.1-REL! Congrats to the devs and thanks for all the hard work!

I've been using FreeNAS since 0.7.2 and have been happy with it. I was ready to give 8.0.1 a go on my Intel SS4200e. And of course, I got a little stuck (I'm not experienced with FreeBSD - yet).

What I've done:

I put the 4gb DOM from my SS4200e in another AMD64 machine and did the install on that since it was easier to have video on that other machine. After doing the install I rebooted, configured the nic, shutdown, and moved the DOM back to the SS4200e.

Result:

The bootloader finds the kernel and starts to boot. It gets to the point where it tries to mount the root-fs and, as the helpful error message suggests, I suspect it's down to editing the fstab.

I'm having trouble 'seeing' what devices the system sees (it flies by too fast on bootup). What utilities can I use to find out what the proper dev is so that I can manually mount it, edit fstab, and get to exploring FreeNAS 8.0.1?

Regards,
John

beyondbuxton

Cadet
UPDATE:

This has to do with the BIOS. After a little bit more digging, the following resolved the issue for me:

Enter BIOS. Select Advanced, IDE Configuration. ATA/IDE config had been set to "Enhanced". I set it to "Compatible", hit F10, and watched FreeNAS 8.0.1-REL boot on the SS4200e.

It may be worth verifying that "Legacy IDE" is set to "PATA PRI, SATA SEC". I haven't booted the SS4200e with the SATA drives connected yet, but I suspect had I not ensured this was set, I'd be right back in the BIOS once I did.

Good luck!

ProtoSD

MVP
This seems to be a very common problem and no clear solution yet. There is a ticket open for it, since beta-3 I think.
I put the 4gb DOM from my SS4200e in another AMD64 machine and did the install on that since it was easier to have video on that other machine. After doing the install I rebooted, configured the nic, shutdown, and moved the DOM back to the SS4200e.

Is there any chance you can try creating your DOM on your target machine? I think maybe during the installation the something gets set and when you switch your flash drive to different hardware it doesn't find what it was looking for. The only way I know to edit your fstab on the flash drive would be to put it in a FreeBSD machine and edit it, but I couldn't tell you what to change because it should work.

You can be the guinea pig if you'd like and try and install it on the target hardware and see if that helps.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I guess we were both posting at the same time. I'm glad you found something that worked. I added what you just posted to the ticket.

https://support.freenas.org/ticket/490

Status
Not open for further replies.