Installing onto 2 Disks

gregoryn

Cadet
Greetings,

I am setting up TrueNAS for the first time on an HPE Proliant DL380P Gen8. Installed an H220 LSI HBA in IT Mode and everything seems fine on the hardware front.

During installation of TrueNAS there was some confusion of the optimal setup for the boot device. In the screen where you select what disks to install onto, I selected 2 identical disks and proceeded with the installation; however, it's not clear what exactly happens when you select two disks during installation.

Should I have only selected one disk, and handle mirroring the data onto the other disk a different way, or will this setup by default mirror onto the second disk? If not, I suppose I will need to reinstall TrueNAS on only one of the two disks, then look into how to mirror it to the other disk after installation.

I saw a similar thread (https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/installing-freenas-multiple-drives.86661/) where someone said, "FreeNAS installs usually to a single boot device, but you can indeed mirror them if you wish. (post-install is fine) Then after installation you make a "pool" of your other drives, which is for storage." but it was not clear if you can mirror the boot device by selecting 2 drives during installation.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I selected 2 identical disks and proceeded with the installation; however, it's not clear what exactly happens when you select two disks during installation.
When you select two disks to install to, the installer creates a ZFS mirror of those two disks, which will be your boot pool.