Installing NIC causing k3s to fail to start

BladeWDR

Cadet
Hi all,

Running into some issues attempting to add an additional network card into my TrueNAS build.

This is the platform I'm working with:

i5-12400
ASUS Prime H670-PLUS D4 motherboard

Some backstory:

I'm looking to move most of the more insecure devices in my house to a restricted VLAN - and so wanted to add another network interface to my TrueNAS box so I could give it its own IP address on that VLAN, and avoid needing to route all that traffic through my firewall.

Not sure if hardware is the correct area to post this in, but I'm going to start here.

I've tried this with 2 different Intel NICs - Dell Intel Pro 1000 quad port, and a single port (Intel as well, though I don't recall the exact model).

Both cards have been used in previous systems and are known working.

Whenever I install a card and boot up the system, k3s fails to start.

These are some of the errors it was throwing in /var/log/k3s_daemon.log

Code:
Feb 26 16:05:30 SB-TrueNAS k3s[19689]: E0226 16:05:30.166614   19689 kubelet.go:1397] "Failed to start ContainerManager" err="failed to initialize top level QOS containers: root container [kubepods] doesn't exist"
Feb 26 16:05:35 SB-TrueNAS k3s[20091]: time="2023-02-26T16:05:35-05:00" level=info msg="Starting k3s v1.25.3+k3s-9afcd6b9-dirty (9afcd6b9)"

Code:
Failed to start kubernetes cluster for Applications: [EFAULT] Failed to configure PV/PVCs support: Cannot connect to host 127.0.0.1:6443 ssl:default [Connect call failed ('127.0.0.1', 6443)]

Once I shut down the machine and removed the NIC, then k3s starts with no problem.

I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting this. For the moment I've removed the NIC.

Another issue, possibly related is that the NIC itself had no connectivity when installed. Link light comes on for both the switch and the NIC, DHCP doesn't work, and can't ping across even after assigning a static address. Opened up the firewall rules completely, tried multiple different cables, nada.

Any ideas? Any other information I should get that might be helpful? Thanks!

BladeWDR

Cadet
Update on this, I figured out the "no connectivity" issue. That turned out to be a misconfiguration on my switch.

However, still having the same problem with k3s not starting while the NIC is installed.

this pastebin has what appears to be the relevant part of the logs - it's quite long, so I didn't want to post it in a code snippet here.

https://pastebin.com/6ZFYdn52

Side note, I no longer believe this to be a hardware issue, is there any way to move the thread into the "Apps" forum?

BladeWDR

Cadet
Did an update to 22.12.1 and k3s broke even when the NIC not installed. Wound up doing a full clean reinstall.

I'm guessing it was something in my configuration, because I had the same issue after trying to restore my config backup.

Had to set up my NAS from scratch to prevent it from breaking again.

zyrex

Dabbler
Good for you, I still get the same error as you had even after a reinstall without restoring my backup.